Medecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Triage Nurse
Slot: 2 Openings
Under the supervision of the Medical Supervisor, Health Programme Coordinator and Medical T.A, the Triage Nurse will be responsible for the following main activities to ensure the quality of care of patients:
- He/She will be responsible for conducting brief clinical assessments that determine the clinical urgency of the clients’ presenting health concerns and culminate with the allocation of a care category, which determines the time and sequence in which they receive services.
- The Triage Nurse will also be responsible for managing client records; ensuring accurate data entry, filing/archiving and retrievals.
- S/He will provide comprehensive triage (in-clinic and/or mobile) and clinical assessment service to clients resulting in safe and appropriate clinical decisions that reflect their healthcare needs.
- Identification and isolation of suspected cases in the advent of an outbreak/epidemic (COVID-19, Measles e.t.c)
- S/He will initiate appropriate nursing interventions (e.g. first aid and emergency interventions) to improve client outcomes and secure the safety of clients and clinic staff, facilitate the triage process using clinical knowledge and appropriate interpersonal skills, demonstrating empathy and understanding.
- Provide education to patients and families when necessary
- Sort patients into priority groups according to guidelines
- Transport patients to appropriate treatment areas
- Communicate status of patients to doctors and nurses
- Initiate emergency treatment if necessary
- Manage and communicate with patients in waiting room
- Reporting and attendance to relevant meetings.
- Produce daily and weekly report for the medical supervisor
- Create and maintain good working relationships with referral facility staff.
- Liaise with patient families or designated guardians as appropriate.
- Uphold the principle of confidentiality and actively promote the right of the patient to choose their care.
- Obtain consent from the patient verbal and written where necessary.
- Provide feedback to the medical supervisors or team leader of the field team(s) regarding the cases triaged/screened
- Communicate all patient management with Medical Supervisor on a daily basis.
- Report any safety and security concerns to focal person as soon as possible.
Collection, computerization and analysis of weekly referral data:
- Submit report to the Medical Supervisor on a daily basis
- Submit end of week report to the Medical Supervisor on a weekly basis
- Liaise with Monitoring and Evaluation Department regarding triage data collection when required.
Attendance to relevant meetings:
- Actively participate in MdM internal meetings
- Participate to all the trainings organized by MDM
- Participate in all relevant external trainings identified.
- Give suggestions to improve the functioning of MDM clinics and the referral pathway
- He/she works under the supervision of the Medical Supervisor.
- The employee shall respect Médecins du Monde – France’s schedule and Terms and Conditions of Engagement for National Staff and is expected to be available anytime in order to answer to an emergency situation and be flexible and available beyond normal working hours if requested.
- This job description can be modified according to changes in MDM activities or in the context. It can be amended at any time after mutual consultation, in order to fit the requirements of the programs.
- Be flexible in performing his/her duties to ensure that beneficiaries are getting good quality services
- Perform other additional duties on request of the line manager
- Inform immediately the security focal point in case of any security problem
- Because of the emergency relief nature of MDM’s work, working hours may be irregular and employees are expected to be flexible in their approach to working hours under emergency conditions.
- Trained Nurse with at least 2 years’ experience post qualification.
- Fluent in Hausa, Kanuri and English
- Excellent communication and networking skills
- Good patient resuscitation skills
- Previous working experience as a triage nurse is an asset
- Certification in Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Strong commitment to humanitarian work
Deadline: 30th July, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one single attachment via email to: email@example.com using “Triage Nurse” as the subject of the email.
- Our process of selection include some written tests and oral interviews.
- Interviews will be in Maiduguri
- Applications without the correct subject line stated above will not be treated.