The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Health Manager
Reference No.: req10066
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
- The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries.
- The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
- IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. Since then, the IRC has expanded its scope and size of the programs as new areas became accessible after prolonged conflict and insecurity, in Adamawa, Borno Adamawa and Yobe States in the North-east.
- The IRC’s response to the humanitarian situation includes integrated health and reproductive health and nutrition services, as well as reproductive health care and women protection services.
Scope of Work:
- The Senior Health Manager is the focal point for IRC’s Health program at assigned LGAs (7 and 8 LGAs each) which includes emergency health response, recovery and resilience in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states.
- Promotes Health System Strengthening initiatives. In addition, she/he regularly supports health teams assigned to her/him.
- She/he reports to the Assistant Health Coordinator and works closely with the Senior Reproductive Health Manager, Senior Environmental Health Manager, Nutrition Manager and Monitoring and Evaluation Manager in implementation of health program.
- Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Health Coordinator, the Senior Heath Manager shall be responsible for the overall implementation of the health program that encompasses health system strengthening and emergency health planning and response activities in the assigned LGAs.
- S/he will also be responsible for coordination with LGA government counterparts, providing technical support and guidance in the management of the health program.
- Ensure a seamless link between service delivery interventions and LGA capacity for systems development. S/he should be knowledgeable with the issues around the functions and organization of the LGA local government, particularly the LGA health management teams and their capacity gaps
- S/he will supervise and monitor the program implementation and ensure alignment to health indicators as per SPHERE/WHO standards and Nigeria MOH guidelines.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Lead the implementation of health program in the assigned LGAs and establish effective working relationship with government counterparts at State Primary Health Care Development Agency (SPHCDA), Hospital Management Board and Local Government offices;
- Develop health program work plans with Health Managers and monitor and supervise the Health Managers in the implementation of health program in the targeted LGAs;
- In collaboration with M & E sector, set high quality performance indicators, ensuring adherence to technical standards, best practices and donor guidelines;
- Seek out and nurture quality partnership with other implementing partners, local organizations and community structure;
- Foster inter program linkages, exchange of information and experiences and contribute actively to protection mainstreaming in the health program;
- Collaborate with other sectors such as nutrition, WASH, women protection and empowerment, Child protection to ensure holistic service is available in response to needs;
- In coordination with Assistant Health Coordinator, identify opportunities, formulate health program goals, objectives and intervention strategies;
- Contribute to planning, design, planning and drafting of new proposal.
Health System Strengthening:
- Provide technical and programmatic oversight, strategic direction and ensure appropriate support for the implementation of program activities in the areas of health systems strengthening and quality improvement;
- Provide leadership in development of HSS &QI framework for partner districts and at facility levels;
- Coordinate assessments, site strengthening, follow-up and supervision with use of supportive supervision guidelines;
- Identify clinical training needs and assist in the design and implementation of measures to address those needs, e.g. quality improvement systems and developing/adopting training curricula;
- Engage SPHDA and LGA stakeholders to define desired health outcomes and confirm clinical performance standards in alignment with national health service delivery standards and QI processes in different health facilities) and settings (static clinics, referrals, outreach), assess existing gaps in meeting standards; and develop a plan of action to achieve the desired health outcomes;
- Develop and test approaches for quality and performance improvement according to the local context as needed;
- Apply quality standards to ensure that health services meet national requirements, as well as meet client expectation;
- Advocate with SPHCDA, LGA and community-level health institutions to raise awareness about their role in improving health outcomes;
- Contributes to strengthening the referral system at all levels of health system;
- In collaboration with program staff, ensure that necessary quality improvement planning, budgeting and management activities occur to facilitate smooth and efficient program functioning.
Human Resource Management:
- Monitor and supervise health managers to ensure program implementation is properly done and according to plans;
- Routinely monitor staff performance according to job responsibilities and performance objectives for direct reports and provide a written annual performance evaluation;
- Review personnel issues and concerns of health staff and assist in determining and implementing solutions;
- Recommend staff promotion, disciplinary action and termination to the Assistant Health Coordinator and HR Lead;
- Determine personnel needs for field-level activities, develop Job Descriptions, and assist in recruitment of staff;
- Undertake capacity-development programs for health staff.
- Ensure project activities are implemented according to the work-plan and within the allocated budgets;
- Prepare weekly work – plans with the health teams;
- Ensure adherence to budgets by reviewing expenditures and spending patterns;
- Recommend grant and budget revisions to the Assistant Health Coordinator;
- Provide recommendations and interventions to correct any identified deviations that impact budget adherence.
Reporting, monitoring and evaluation:
- Provide monthly reports on progress in the implementation;
- Responsible for all donor reports in the assigned projects/LGAs as required according to the guidelines and submit timely to the Assistant Health Coordinator for review;
- Supervise and regularly review and revise training manuals to maintain consistency with the accepted protocols;
- Monitor closely the morbidity and mortality trends together with all the other health indicators to ensure that prompt actions are taken;
- Attend meetings concerning overall health program issues;
- Keep the Assistant Health Coordinator informed of all developments and issues through weekly situational reports.
- Position Reports to: Health Coordinator
- Position directly supervises: Health Managers/Sr. Health Manager, and work closely with Sr. Reproductive Health Manager
- Indirect Reporting: Health Coordinator
- Other Internal and/or external contacts: describe the nature of departments or groups the position influences or requires support from to accomplish objectives.
- Internal: All other IRC sectors offering integrated services at all intervention areas.
- External: SPHCDA, UNFPA, WHO, HMB, Federal Ministry of Health, other INGOs.
- Master’s degree in Public Health preferred, but not required ,
- At least 3 Years work experience in health system strengthening and health programs both at clinical and community based programs, working in maternal and child health, drugs and medical supplies management and other primary Health care components is preferable,
- Flexible to travel frequently and work in different locations (ability to travel up to 50% time)
- Excellent budget management skills,
- Thorough knowledge and understanding Health Policy of Nigeria,
- Previous experience working in Northern Nigeria, willingness to work in Northern Nigeria,
- Demonstrated grants and program management experience, preferably health related,
- Demonstrated experience working with multiple partners and stakeholders,
- Excellent report writing skills,
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills,
- Experience delivering MCH and related trainings to health staff using national or WHO guidelines,
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity in programs management and technical staff in Quality Improvement
Standards of Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
- IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Benefit package for national position is inclusive;
- Competitive Monthly salary;
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family;
- Annual earned leave days;
- Pension scheme.
- The position will be based in Maiduguri – Borno State, Nigeria. The situation in northeast Nigeria continues to be volatile and the security phase is orange or red depending on location;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online