RTI International is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 5,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and multidisciplinary services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: State Team Lead
Overview / Details
- RTI International in collaboration with Plan International and other partners are implementing a 4-year USAID funded Effective Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (E-WASH) program.
- The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Effective Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Services (E-WASH) Program, implemented by RTI International, is working to improve urban water and sanitation service delivery by strengthening the governance, financial and technical viability of state water boards (SWBs)/corporations in five states in Nigeria. The five states are Abia, Delta, Imo, Niger and Taraba. E-WASH is working towards achieving the following mutually reinforcing objectives:
- Creating professionally managed and commercially oriented SWBs.
- Improving the financial and operational viability of SWBs.
- Strengthening policy, institutional and regulatory frameworks for improved WASH services (including establishing accountability mechanisms).
- Building national and state WASH advocacy, coordination, and communications for reform.
- The overall goal is improvement of urban water and sanitation service delivery.
- RTI International hereby invites applications from highly resourceful, motivated and experienced professionals to fill the position of State Team Lead in Niger State.
- The State Team Lead (STL) is responsible for the leadership and the overall implementation of E-WASH project activities across sectoral, utility and external relations in Niger state.
- He/she will be responsible for the building of strong relationships with state-level counterparts particularly within the State Water Board (SWB) to ensure the sustainability and effectiveness of reform efforts.
- He/she will lead efforts for technical assistance to and capacity building of counterparts to deliver high-quality services.
- He/she will oversee the delivery of services from short-term experts and support the overall harmonization of institutional and community efforts at the state-level.
- He/she will liaise with security, finance and M&E counterparts to support state-level implementation.
- He/she will oversee state-level specialists.
The STL will lead RTI E-WASH state implementation team in Niger state to support the state, specifically the State Water Board to implement the following project activities:
- Provide technical support/assistance to develop water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) baseline information that will feed into state Service Improvement Plan (SIP).
- Support the creation of a professionally managed, commercially oriented SWB
- Facilitate the increase in political and managerial autonomy of the SWB
- Support strengthening of corporate culture that motivates and inspires staff to excel and achieve its vision, mission, and goal
- Support Human Resources Development within the SWB
- Support the improvement of financial and operational viability of SWB
- Facilitate the improvement of business processes, financial management practices, billing and collection and customer service within SWB
- Assist in the promotion and support the implementation of tariff review and increase
- Support the SWB to develop, implement, monitor and evaluate a Performance Improvement Plan (PIP) over a period of specified time
- Facilitate the development of Asset Maintenance Management Systems for SWB
- Facilitate the design and operationalization of a Utility Support Fund for emergency repairs and small-scale improvements to increase operational efficiency
- Support development and implementation of Non-Revenue Water (NRW) Management Strategy for state
- Facilitate the strengthening of policy, institutional, and regulatory frameworks for improved WASH services
- Support and design the implementation of specific policy reforms
- Facilitate the establishment or strengthen regulatory unit or commission
- Build coordination, advocacy, and strategic communications among sector stakeholders
- Support the development and implementation of a Communications for Reform Strategy for the state
- Provide technical support for institutionalization of GIS applications in the SWB’
- Support the design and implement a strategy to improve the financing of WASH service delivery expansion and improvements
- Support the enhancement of social accountability and institutional transparency for the WASH sector
- Facilitate mapping and develop plans for public sanitation service improvement
- Perform any other functions as required by the COP.
Minimum Required Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, or Business Management or any other engineering field or any other relevant field and 9 years of experience in water utility operations and management and/or WASH, MSC and 12 years or Bachelor’s Degree and 16 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Expertise in performance and process improvement and specific expertise in areas including HR management, strategic planning, training and capacity building, financial management, and/or customer satisfaction and engagement.
- Proven ability to effectively engage with and build capacity of government counterparts.
- Demonstrated strength in diplomacy and consensus building to support reform and institutional change efforts.
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills
- Strong computer skills: Microsoft Office Applications (MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Ability to multitask
- Possesses leadership and supervisory skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to build effective relationships with all clients, peers, and stakeholders
- Competent in conflict and crisis management
- Demonstrated success managing and leading technical teams
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to obtain proper security clearances as noted by contracts.
Deadline: 18th August, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit by e-mail only an Application Letter and a CV as One Single Word document to: Recruitment@ewash.rti.org
Very Important Information
- On the Subject Line of your email you should ONLY put the Email Subject line, no other text should be on this subject line.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as they see this advert. Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for an interview.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply. We offer a highly competitive renumeration. Take note that the successful candidate will be subjected to a pre-employment background investigation. For further information about RTI International, please visit our website at www.rti.org
- RTI does not permit any payment requests demanded during any part of the hiring process. If such requests are made, please report it to the RTI Ethics Office via firstname.lastname@example.org. Any candidate making any payment will be disqualified from consideration for future employment with RTI.
- We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V