Nominations are now open for the 2021 United Nations Public Service Awards. The Awards, supported by the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA), are an international recognition of excellence in public service. They recognize the innovation, creative achievements and contributions of public sector institutions that lead to a more effective and responsive public administration in countries worldwide.
The United Nations Public Service Awards is the most prestigious international recognition of excellence in public service. It rewards the creative achievements and contributions of public service institutions that lead to a more effective and responsive public administration in countries worldwide. Through an annual competition, the UN Public Service Awards promotes the role, professionalism and visibility of public service.
The UN Public Service Day intends to celebrate the value and virtue of public service to the community; highlight the contribution of public service in the development process; recognize the work of public servants, and encourage young people to pursue careers in the public sector. Since the first Awards Ceremony in 2003, the United Nations has received an increasing number of submissions from all around the world.
The 2021 United Nations Public Service Awards (UNPSA) is now open for nominations in the following categories:
- Fostering innovation to deliver inclusive and equitable services for all including through digital transformation
- Enhancing the effectiveness of public institutions to reach the SDGs
- Promoting gender-responsive public services to achieve the SDGs
- Institutional preparedness and response in times of crisis
- Open to all public-sector institutions at the national, sub-national and local levels from all UN member states. In the case of partnerships (including civil society, private sector, academia etc.), the nominee must be a public-sector institution;
- Both self-nomination and nomination by third parties are accepted. Applications should be made by an organization;
- The initiative must be innovative and relevant to one of the UN Public Service Awards;
- The initiative must have been implemented for a minimum of two years, with demonstrated and documented impact;
- The nomination must be duly filled out;
- The submission must include all the required supporting documents;
- The initiative must not have already received a UNPS Award;
- To avoid conflict of interest, the initiative must not be implemented by the United Nations System.
Applicants are invited to join for a capacity development webinar on the UNPSA on October 6, 2020 (8:00am – 10:30am EDT) to discuss the UNPSA process and enhance the capacity of institutions to successfully prepare a nomination for the 2021 UNPSA. Registration is necessary. More details can be found here.
The deadline for submitting nominations is November 18, 2020.
Deadline: November 18, 2020