Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: MEAL Assistant
Ref Id: 200005O9
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better health care, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
- We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
- We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
- Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely safe for children.
- We undertake rigorous procedures to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join our organization and all candidates will, therefore, be subject to this scrutiny.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- Level 3 – The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: MEAL Officer
- Dimensions: Field office based position with at least 80% field visit.
- Functional relationship: Closely work with Sectoral MEAL and Accountability team and relevant programme staff
- Staff directly reporting to this post : none.
Key Areas of Accountability
Monitoring and Accountability:
- Assist in programme updates for the response management and internal information sharing
- Assist MEAL officer with data collection processes if needed
- Conduct field monitoring visits (including the use of the Quality benchmark/monitoring checklist) and facilitating focus group discussions
- Assist with implementation of programme evaluations (data collection)
- Support MEAL in conducting assessments as needed
- Responsible for handling, documenting, confidentiality and security of all informational resource related to feedback and complaints from beneficiaries
- Support Complaints and Feedback Mechanism, including communicating responses to complainants; liaise with programmes and operations to ensure prompt follow-up on feedback and complaints received.
Documentation and Dissemination:
- Contribute in preparing weekly, monthly and quarterly reports on MEAL
- Prepare field visit report and do debriefing and action planning with relevant staff
- To conduct quality monitoring of programme activities, measured against international standards and using participatory methodologies (including child-friendly methodologies) and the quality benchmarks.
- Coordinate and communicate with MEAL and relevant programme staff regarding feedback and complaints
- Maintain liaison with MEAL unit and programme particularly field coordination/community mobilization team.
Requirements, Skills & Experience
- First degree in relevant studies
- Proficient in relevant computer applications
- Ability to work in a team with the flexibility to undertake a challenging task and adapt to different working conditions.
- Good spoken, reading, and writing skills in English with the ability to produce a quality report
- Kanuri proficiency is a must.
- Must have completed NYSC
- Minimum of a year work experience
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Listening skills
- Problem analysis and problem solving
- Have experience and/or knowledge about working with children on research issues and is aware of the local legal and child protection systems.
- Ability to work as part of a team, Flexibility, adaptability, and patience
- Ability to work under pressure often to strict deadlines.
Skills and Behaviours (our values in practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable.
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively.
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Designing more effective admin and data management systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.
Deadline: 8th October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online