Medecins du Monde (MdM) – In Nigeria, Medecins du Monde provides emergency medical assistance to host and displaced populations within the Northeast region of the country. This intervention is delivered through the following sectors: Improved access of host and displaced populations to free and comprehensive primary health care; universal access to SRH services, strengthening the continuum of care in SRH, and establishing good quality community care structures throughout the lives of the service users; improved access of the malnourished children, aged 6-59 months, to quality nutrition treatment including the management of Severe Acute Malnutrition.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Call for Interest – Facilitator For Basic Life Support Training
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Part-time
- A component of MdM’s integrated primary health care services is staff capacity building and institutional strengthening. This is delivered through on job trainings and specific formal trainings according to particular needs. As part of this intervention, MdM will train the medical team on “Basic Life Support” to scale up the quality of the emergency care provided at field level.
- Injuries and life-threatening incidents in the clinics (or at home) are always unexpected. The failure to take prompt action may escalate an emergency situation and lead to the mortality and morbidity of the victim. However, early intervention may be effective in preventing further deterioration of the patient’s condition, and may even reverse the life-threatening condition.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) is an emergency procedure required for victims of cardiac arrest, respiratory arrest and foreign-body airway obstruction.
- Prompt administration of BLS increases the patient’s chances of recovery and it is believed that out-of-hospital mortality could be significantly reduced if at least 15% of the population had knowledge of BLS.
Purpose and Objectives
- The main objective of this service is to provide high-quality training on Basic Life Support to equip the participants with basic knowledge, skills and attitude to perform with confidence basic life support techniques to save lives.
By the end of the training, participants should be better equipped to:
- Describe the principles of Emergency Care and critical concepts of CPR.
- Discuss the indications, proper use and maintenance of automated external defibrillator (AED).
- Perform 2-Rescuer CPR and AED for adult, child and infant.
- Demonstrate how to provide abdominal thrust to a conscious adult; chest thrust and backslaps to a conscious infant; and chest thrust to an unconscious adult, a child and an infant with obstructed airway.
- Identify the types of life support and links of survival for adult and paediatric patients; and discuss the human anatomy and physiology of the nervous, respiratory and circulatory systems.
- Demonstrate how to provide rescue breathing alone for an adult, child & infant who show signs of circulation but have inadequate or not breathing.
- Appreciate and integrate key skills such as critical thinking, problems solving, communication and team work to achieve optimal patient outcomes.
- A Registered company / organisation recognized by American Heart Association
- Supported / certified by Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN)
- Previous experience in facilitating BLS / ACLS / PALS trainings
- Facilitator must have relevant university degree
Deadline: 23rd September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send a Comprehensive / Detailed Profile, indicating their competencies and experiences on similar projects. These expressions of interest should be sent to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference “Basic Life Support Training” as the subject line.