Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Social Worker (Protection) – Female
Locations: Zurmi and Shinkafi, Zamfara
No of Places: 01 (one)
Working Hours: 48 Hours per Week
Report to: Project Coordinator
Contract Duration: 3 months renewable
Report to (functional): Project Coordinator Assistant
- Carry out all social-related activities at MSF hospital and Community level,
- Ensuring proper follow-up of social care needs for all patients and caretaker,
- Ensuring safeguarding for all patients and staff, providing individual social support and accountability to the population, we serve, liaising with the different services of the hospital,
- Supervise and ensure data collection in protection,
- Follow up of individual cases for referral (to MSF and other), in order to ease the person’s situation, to maximize his / her adherence to services provided and to improve his / her psychosocial condition.
- The social worker will be Providing the above activities in the two supported health facilities in Shinkafi and Zurmi.
- The applicant must be an experienced female social worker. Good knowledge of Zamfara state context is desirable.
- Education: Desirable degree in Social Work.
- Experience: Experience working with MSF and having Protection background is desired. One year minimum in a similar social job; experience with MSF or other NGOs desired.
- Languages: Essential – The applicant should have good command of English, Hausa and Fulani.
- Competencies: Teamwork, flexibility, humanitarian commitment, staff management
- Identify social and protection needs of patients through direct interaction and follow-up of in-patients.
- Be the contact person to be called by all staff for support in social needs and follow up.
- Ensure all children in the hospital have a caretaker (family proven linked) or are allocated an MSF caretaker (with then a specific follow up)
- Ensure discussions and forum with the patients to discuss about the cycle of the patients in the hospital and the quality of services
- Encourage discussions with the patients on social and protection issues and challenges they are facing in the hospital and in their communities
- Ensure exit interviews with all patients to score the service quality
- Ensure a complain system is in place and known in the hospital.
- Ensure a close support to all patients / survivors referred to the hospital to ensure they have the adequate level of protection and information related to services
- Highlight specific needs when encountered (such as disability or isolated people) to the manager
- Liaise with the medical team to ensure smooth communication and exchanges
- Keep records, statistic and files updated, on all social services provided in the hospital and provide a weekly update, ensuring confidentiality Support the Project Coordinator Assistant in all activities related to protection and social fields.
- Inform the Project Coordinator Assistant all-important information expressed by the individual / communities, ensuring confidentiality at all times.
- Respond to the social needs, according to the scope of the project, by giving direct social support (as defined in the project) and / or refer to other social actors, in order to actively contribute to the improvement of their quality of living.
- Identify social and protection needs of population through data collection and follow-up especially targeting new arrivals displaced population.
- Ensure provision of all data collected in protection by him / herself and by the lay counsellor to the data entry; operator for further compilation and analysis and supervise the data entry and sending of the file
- Support the Zamfara Project Coordinator Assistant in all activities related to protection and social fields.
- Mapping and regular update of social partners, local authorities, other NGOs, and governmental social services in order to improve social services scope and responsiveness, based on the directive from the field coordinator.
- In collaboration with IEC team, organize the referral of SGBV and other protection cases according to ref criteria cases from the communities where MSF support, to the hospital for proper care.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- The social worker will be the main liaison staff between MSF and the patients on issues related to social needs and protection. Individual follow up is part of the responsibilities, as well as group discussion to identify additional needs not covered and exit interview together with clear complain procedures.
- It will be a team work with the Project Coordinator Assistant, the social worker at the community level and the medical team (PMR, MH team etc) to provide consolidated information and analysis to the field coordinator, the National HAO and the advocacy manager in Abuja.
- He / she will also liaise with the social worker at community level. It will include training, and liaison with other agencies for referral.
NGN 3,647,696 (Annual basic Salary + 13th month) as per the MSF salary scale (national contract).
Deadline: 9th October, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This Job announcement applies ONLY to female candidates.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
- Applications are non-returnable. Do not submit original certificates or credentials.
- MSF encourages women and people with disability status to apply