British American Tobacco is all about freedom of choice – whether it’s our people or our products. Combined with our entrepreneurial spirit, it’s what’s driven our phenomenal success. We started trading tobacco over a hundred years ago. Today, we’re a multibillion dollar company with more than 200 brands in our portfolio. With robust positions in each of our regional markets, our future looks equally bright too.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Tax Manager
Job Number: 29261
Level: Experienced Professional
Appointment Type: Permanent
- We are looking to hire a Tax Manager to join our team in Lagos, Nigeria
- Manage BATMN (BAT Nigeria) group tax affairs across the country and optimizing the BAT Nigeria group tax opportunities including strategies for business growth and expansion while ensuring compliance with tax regulations to prevent risks of default.
- Tax budgets for company plan and business reviews.
- Monthly tax statistics (contribution to government revenue) for social reports to stakeholders.
- Prepare and file all monthly and annual tax liabilities of BATMN group to 36 States and the federal tax authorities.
- Keep abreast of changes in all aspects of the laws and regulation of taxes in Nigeria, as it affects the business
- Responsible for the management of tax records of BATMN group.
- Responsible for advising, setting and implementing tax strategies across the business and ensuring optimal capital efficiency.
- Tax disclosures in Financial Statements and Group reporting.
- Review of all BATMN group projects and contracts for compliance with all tax rules and regulations.
- Tax parameters for company payroll and review of payroll tax reports to ensure accuracy.
- Ensure BATMN group employees’ awareness of tax laws and regulatory changes as it affects their respective functions to ensure accuracy of tax accounting
- Ensure timely payment of all taxes to the appropriate Tax Authorities to avoid sanctions:
- Obtain high value tax related services at competitive fees from external Consultants.
- Respond to enquiries across BAT group as it affects Nigerian taxation.
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of tax reporting, including internal forecast updates, Group reporting requirements, and annual budgeting exercises.
- Ensure efficient reporting of fixed assets to optimize tax benefits
- Minimize the present value of all tax payments without exposing the company to risks.
- Ensure prompt resolution of queries and matters arising from the reviews and queries of Nigerian tax agencies.
- Provide substantive defense for BATMN group in investigation and tax audit instances.
- Actively build the company’s reputation and relationship with the Tax Authorities to reduce friction.
- Communicate developments and changes in tax rules to all employees to manage expectations.
- Manage the withholding and Value Added tax affairs with all suppliers as they affect our contractual obligations.
- Ensure maximum value obtained from good working relationships with PwC and other external advisors and supporters.
- Identify tax-planning opportunities and appropriately develop and implement the operating strategies to expand the business.
- Obtain early return on investment by accelerating capital expenditure claims of the companies.
- Efficiently manage the effective tax rate of BATMN group.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to manage BAT’s reputation
- Develop relationships with individuals and teams to reinforce credibility in communication received and conveyed
- Become the recognized point of contact for tax purposes by providing support to other functions.
- Build and maintain trust of subordinates to serve as a conduit for bottom-up communication and feedback to management
- Actively manage career within BAT, taking responsibility for seeking opportunities for development and growth within the company
- Engage in cross-functional projects and activities to provide tax insights to other functions of the company
- Develop and manage individual relationships with the Finance Leadership Team (FLT)
- Provide coaching to colleagues within and outside the team to aid their development
- Develop and implement initiatives that will strengthen internal and external relationships.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree within Financial Field and NYSC completed
- Over 5 years of experience as a tax specialist, preferably within a Big 4 or FMCG company
- Very knowledgeable on the local tax dynamics and understands the implications on company business objectives.
- Innovative and influencing skills
- Ability to translate and align taxation activities to the company vision Fluency in English Language
- Understands company business environment and risks
- Proactive and strong performer who consistently achieves set goals
- Chartered Tax Practitioner/ Chartered Accountant
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Good people leadership skills
- Good coaching skills.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online