The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources / Admin Analyst
Job ID: 32818
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – Human Resources
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- OCHA’s mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors to:
- Alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies
- Advocate for the rights of people in need
- Promote preparedness and prevention
- Facilitate sustainable solutions.
- In December 1991, the General Assembly adopted Resolution 46/182 designed to strengthen the United Nation’s response to both complex emergencies and natural disasters. In addition, it aimed at improving the overall effectiveness of the UN’s humanitarian operations in the field.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the guidance and supervision of the Admin / Finance Officer, the HR/Admin Analyst is responsible for transparent implementation of HR strategies in COs, effective delivery of HR services and management of the CO HR Unit.
- The HR/Admin Analyst supervises and leads the staff of the HR Unit or is a team member of the HR Unit. The HR / Admin Analyst works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the CO and UNDP HQs staff ensuring successful CO performance in HR management.
- He/she analyses, interprets, and applies HR policies, rules, and regulations, establishes internal procedures and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex HR issues.
- The HR / Admin Analyst promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and contributes to the maintenance of high staff morale.
Functions / Key Results Expected
Implementation of HR strategies and policies:
- Full compliance of HR activities with UN rules and regulations, UNDP policies, procedures, and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control, proper design and functioning of the HR management system.
- Continuous analysis of corporate HR strategies and policies, assessing the impact of changes and making recommendations on their implementation in the CO. Continuous research of the matters related to conditions of service, salaries, allowances, and other policy matters. Elaboration and introduction of measurement indicators, monitoring and reporting on achievement of results.
- CO HR business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management, control of the workflows in the HR Unit.
- Implementation of the strategic approach to recruitment in the CO, proper use of contractual modalities, forecast of the staffing needs, performance evaluation and staff career development management.
Effective Human Resources Management:
- Management of International staff entitlements and position funding delegated to the HR Unit.
- Management of recruitment processes including job descriptions, job classification, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates, chairing interview panels, making recommendations on recruitment. Oversight of recruitment under UNDP projects.
- Review and certification of submissions to the Local Appointment and Promotion Board (LAPB).
- Management of contracts in and outside Atlas. Monitoring and tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, HR data, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivity, recoveries, adjustments, and separations through Atlas. Upon delegation of responsibility, performs HR Manager functions in Atlas.
- Development and management of rosters.
- Validation of cost-recovery charges in Atlas for HR services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
- Provide management support to OCHA administrative operations with the following results:
- Full compliance of operations with UN/OCHA/UNDP rules, regulations and policies, effective implementation of corporate operational strategies, achievement of management targets, monitoring and reporting of results.
- Provide support on all issues related to staff travel (domestic & international) and office/staff compliance with the security procedures.
- Support the office transport fleet and ensure that all vehicles are all MOSS compliant and are always in road worthy condition and properly maintained including the provision of adequate spare parts.
- Plan and organize office events including retreats, meetings and other events and ensure that all participants are informed in advance and that the necessary logistics is in place including booking of venues, hotels etc
- Provide supervisory support and manage the performance of the Administrate support staff
- Has the role of Travel Administrator, and thus can provide support to submit Travel Requests/Expense Reports into OCHA ERP system “Umoja”.
- Knowledge building and sharing with regards to financial management and general administrative operations, contributing to OCHA’s best practices.
- Prepare letters and other correspondence relating to administrative activities and related reports for internal use.
Staff Performance Management and Career Development:
- Elaboration and implementation of the protocol for performance appraisal process, facilitation of the process, elaboration of performance evaluation indicators in consultation with the Senior Management.
- Provision of effective counseling to staff on career advancement, development needs, learning possibilities.
- Implementation of strategic staffing policies in line with career development.
- Support to effective learning management including establishment of the Whole Office Learning plan and individual learning plans in collaboration with the Senior Management and Learning Manager.
- Implementation of the Universal Access strategy ensuring access to role appropriate learning activities.
Conduct of UN-related Surveys:
- Organization and coordination of comprehensive and interim local salary, hardship, and place-to-place surveys in coordination with the Operations Manager.
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO:
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in HR.
- Organization of trainings for operations/ programme staff on HR issues.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in HR, Business Administration, Public Administration, or related field., or a relevant first level university degree with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- HR Certification programme.
- 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing HR advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems is required
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Knowledge of OCHA’s ERP UMOJA would be an asset
- Experience in the UN Common System or other international organization is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language and national language of the duty station would be desirable.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade, and transform.
- Ability to get things done.
Technical / Functional Competencies:
- Building Partnerships
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Job Knowledge / Technical Expertise
- Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Client Orientation.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision, and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Deadline: 11th October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Applicant Information / Notice
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.