The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Information Management Officer (MM/IM)
Requisition: SVN 2020 261
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route is increasingly dangerous for migrants. Crossing the Mediterranean to Italy is by far the deadliest route, with 1 death recorded for 35 arrivals (IOM, 2016). In addition, over 70% of the migrants interviewed by IOM on their arrival in Italy report that they were victims of trafficking or other exploitative practices during their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean.
- To meet these challenges IOM, with support from the European Union (EU), has developed targeted interventions in Nigeria and transit countries to protect the security, dignity and rights of migrants along this important and dangerous migration route and to help in improving the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach. This will be achieved through different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, provision of direct assistance through search and rescue support, identification, referral and direct assistance to vulnerable migrants, assistance for voluntary return, support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows.
- As part of IOM’s global efforts to strengthen information management in the area, systems are being upgraded and expanded to ensure that data is systematically stored and managed through a centralized, standardized system. The upgrade improves operational efficiency and the data produced will be used to develop the evidence base on migration and vulnerability and provide valuable insight into IOM’s programming. The expanded systems will also include processes to improve the assistance workflow and monitoring of the return and reintegration experiences and outcomes of returns, as well as the assistance provided to all migrants in vulnerable situations assisted by IOM.
- Working under the overall supervision of the Project Manager (MM) and Head of Sub Office, Lagos in Nigeria and the direct supervision of the Programme Support Officer (MM/PSU), Lagos and the thematic supervision of the Regional Office (RO) and Headquarters (HQs), the successful candidate will be responsible for the implementation, monitoring and effective coordination of Information Management (IM) related activities within the Migration Management Unit (MMU) in Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Assist in planning, developing and supervising the implementation of all IM activities in Nigeria. Monitor quality output, allocation of resources to achieve the identified outputs, and the selection of personnel and partners, and participate in overall management functions.
- Coordinate with Sub-Units to identify and analyze needs related to information management and prepare tools, conduct preliminary analyses and draft reports relevant to proposed programmes.
- Support the Unit’s monitoring and evaluation team in developing tools and analyzing collected data for feedback mechanism, data management, and reporting.
- Support the roll out and application of the latest MiMOSA upgrade in Nigeria in particular for the use in EUTF funded migrant protection and reintegration programming.
- Participate in the development and maintenance of databases and other information management/reporting systems.
- Provide guidance and training on the implementation and effective use of data collection tools embedded in IOM’s institutional information management systems – including MiMOSA, Flow Monitoring and standardized M&E tools for voluntary return and reintegration – in Nigeria to support and improve data monitoring, analyses and reporting.
- Produce and provide data and information for the development of reports as required to be used for internal and external publications, with focus on IOM Nigeria’s Migration Management programming outcomes and impact.
- In coordination with the DTM team, support the Migration Data Team in the implementation of Flow Monitoring related activities of the EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration.
- Identify and implement practical solutions related to data collection, analysis, and visualization of Migration Management Unit’s activities, in line with best practices on data security and data protection.
- Monitor the data management aspect of implementing partners’ work and provide technical support as needed to ensure compliance and allow comprehensive reporting.
- Support in the drafting and operationalization of SOPs on data collection, compliance with organizational standards and real-time reporting of project activities.
- Participate in relevant seminars and meetings as well as other events focusing on Information Management.
- Undertake duty travel as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Information management, Demography, Geography, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience of information management work, including data verification, validation, classification, and transformation;
- Experience using MiMOSA is strongly preferred;
- Experience in the development and management of (SQL and NoSQL) databases and applications is preferred;
- Experience in the use of database applications and statistical analysis tools.
- Experience in the development and management of databases and applications;
- Experience in the field of migrant assistance, particularly Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) and protection strongly preferred;
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative data analysis skills and demonstrated ability to produce high-quality information products;
- Proven ability to deliver technical training to different audiences;
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization; and,
- Knowledge or experience of case management/customer relationship management systems (Mimosa).
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and Spanish is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
- Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link: https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf. Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
Deadline: 10th December, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.