Medecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Interpreter
Employment Type: Full-time
Under the supervision of the Medical supervisor, the mobile clinic translator will be responsible for the following main activities in order to ensure the quality of care in the mobile clinics:
- Interpret documents in English, Hausa and Kanuri, and vice versa as directed by Technical Advisors or clinical supervisor
- Interpret discussions/meetings (Community) as requested by other MdM staff as required
- To ensure neutrality and accuracy when translating
- To declare any “conflict of interest” when asked to translate (e.g. personal involvement) which would necessitate using other staff members for translation
- Assist MdM team in everyday activities of the project including meetings with community groups and leaders
- Conduct basic language courses to medical staff working in the facilities
- Performs additional duties as per the request of immediate supervisor or project coordinator in other associated project activities
- To strengthen MdM’s relations with local community
- To ensure confidentiality at all times
- To take care of translation between the beneficiaries and the clinical team
- To provide visitors with Health Education along with the community workers if required
- Advice visitors regarding the medical services in the facility
He/she is expected to:
- Have an extensive vocabulary of the major languages spoken in Maiduguri i.e English, Hausa and Kanuri
- He/she must make sense of the message composed in one language while simultaneously constructing and articulating the same message in another language
- He/she must have a very good knowledge of healthcare and medical terms. Also have ability to learn and retain new terminology
- Be a very good listener and be able to pick up on every word, every intent and every meaning
- Interpret with highest degree of accuracy and completeness: interpreting the exact meaning of what is being said without editing or deleting anything
- Have knowledge, skills and techniques to provide an accurate interpretation of all communication (verbal and non-verbal) between the Doctors/Midwives/MHPSS Counsellors/Social workers, the patient and other individuals involved in the care and the treatment of the patients
- Behave and present him/herself in a professional manner always, regardless of the familiarity or unfamiliarity with the individuals involved
- Communicate any special needs of the patient to the Doctors/Midwives/MHPSS Counsellors/Social worker
- Completed Diploma in health-related field with a minimum of 3 years work experience.
- Good command of written and spoken English, Hausa and Kanuri
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload independently, using initiative when appropriate
- Ability to be flexible and use common sense to develop appropriate solutions to regular project problems.
- Experience in working in community setting activities would be an advantage
- Caring, compassionate and confident: willing to be a strong advocate for the improved quality of the services to the patients
- Pleasant and polite attitude at all times; ability to reflect the professional standards of MdM interest in and commitment to MdM’s activities and values
Deadline: 10th December, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one single attachment via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “Interpreter” as the subject of the mail.
Note: Applications without the correct subject will not be treated.