DynamicPlus Advisory – Our client is an International Not-for-profit Organization which has been working closely with governments, international organizations, community organizations, academic and other partners in more than 40 low and middle-income countries to reduce preventable deaths from cardiovascular disease and strengthen national capacity to prevent, detect and respond to epidemic threats.
They are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Legal Officer
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full Time
Overall Role and Responsibilities
- The Legal Officer will coordinate and provide legal support to ensure that the country’s legal frameworks meet or exceed Global Health Security Agenda recommendations and International Health Regulations standards
- This may include reviewing and updating an existing legal mapping conducted in 2019 and compiling, synthesizing, and disseminating legislative and regulatory strategies and other guidance to create a more enabling environment for Epidemic Preparedness at the national and subnational levels
- The Legal Officer will report to the Country Representative but be seconded to work with the NCDC Legal Advisor. They will also work in conjunction with the country team engaging with the Federal Ministry of Health, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Federal Ministry of Environment, The Federal Ministry of Justice, as well as other relevant legislative statutory authorities.
- Advise on legislative requirements for compliance with the International Health Regulations (2005) by providing legal guidance to the NCDC legal team and the IHR focal point on issues impinging on national laws and policies
- Under the leadership of NCDC legal advisor, co-lead in the review of legislative instruments (laws, policies, regulatory instruments) for consistency and coordination within the Nigerian law and requirements of the International Health Regulations (2005) and other relevant public health legislation necessary for implementation of the Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response system (IDSR) in the country
- Support dissemination of the activities outlined by contributing to legal articles, case studies, toolkits, and other relevant reports
- Assist government partners in establishing buy-in from internal and external stakeholders for regulatory action plan
- Provide technical assistance to government officials in developing regulatory language for Prevent Epidemics (and occasionally for Cardiovascular Disease interventions)
- Conduct legal analyses on reviewed and proposed legislative instruments
- Support dissemination of the work by contributing to legal articles, case studies, tool kits, and other relevant reports, as needed
- Liaise with the various government ministries to evaluate progress on the review of relevant acts and policies identified.
- Provide legislative education, workshops, or other trainings to parliamentary committees on health and other stakeholders on their roles in relation to development of health security laws
- Identify global and regional best practices and conduct legal analyses on reviewed and proposed legislative instruments
- Any other duties assigned from time to time by the supervisor.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Law
- At least 5 years of work experience as a fully enrolled legal professional
- LM in Law is required
- Familiarity with the International Health Regulations (2005) and global health security agenda targets is desirable
- Understanding of the multi-sectoral and One Health approaches to achieving Global Health Security objectives
- Excellent written and oral skills with demonstrated experience documenting and disseminating program accomplishments
- Highly attentive to detail
- Outstanding organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in legal practice, ideally related to formulation of policies, proclamations, and regulations; working on public health law is an advantage
- Familiarity with the Nigerian legal structure and functions relating to legislative framework and processes
- Demonstrated experience in convening and leading legislative discussions with lawmakers and technical officials
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letters to: email@example.com using the role applied for as the subject of the mail.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 30th November, 2020.