54gene was founded in 2019 by Dr. Abasi Ene-Obong to address the significant gap in the global genomics market; Nearly 90% of genetic material used in pharmaceutical research is Caucasian. Only 2% is African, despite the fact that Africans and people of African ancestry are more genetically diverse than all other world populations combined.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Medical Anthropologist
Employment Type: Full-Time, Exempt
- We are searching for a detail-orientated Medical Anthropologist with experience working within the Nigerian and/or African context and landscape and a solid grasp of the cultural and societal underpinnings as it relates to medicine and healthcare.
- The Medical Anthropologist’s responsibilities include conducting research and investigations, collecting and interpreting medical data, leading research teams to better understand variations in cultures, ethnicities and societies and how these can be linked to biology and medicine.
- The role will also involve collaborating with other healthcare professionals and academics. S/he should be able to write proposals and reports, conduct rigorous primary research, interview a range of stakeholders, and present convincing presentations of findings to diverse teams.
- To be successful in this role, the Medical Anthropologist should be a strong problem solver able to connect the dots, have insatiable curiosity and be a confident communicator of complex findings. S/he should be able to see the bigger picture, never tire of research and demonstrate great resilience.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Examine the local context of disease diagnosis, treatment and prevention, and the structural as well as conceptual barriers to improved health status
- Examine the effects of 54gene’s research and clinical trial studies on the beneficiary population/communities
- Engage with a range of stakeholders to collect and analyse data that enables 54gene to better understand the impact of its activities on the society and build relationships with key organizations
- Create research plans that broadly engage with the impact of culture, religion, socio-economic, environment and healing modalities on well-being and illness
- Study diverse sources of data to form a complete analysis of the human health in the context of the communities being studied
- Liaise with health service professionals, policy analysts, consultants, social workers, and other relevant stakeholders
- Follow new publications related to your specialization and participate in meaningful discussions
- Encourage respect for and the sharing of human experiences
Education & Certifications:
- Advanced degree in Anthropology, Medicine, Social Work, Psychology or similar field + advanced training in your subspecialty; required
- Ph.D in Anthropology, Medicine, Social Work, Psychology or similar field; desired
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent primary and secondary research and a strong ability to communicate research findings both written and verbally
- Ability to be flexible, versatile, adaptable and take initiative
- Strong presentation skills, proven ability to communicate with diverse audiences, internally and externally
- Ability to successfully collaborate cross-functionally with others of different skill sets, backgrounds and levels within and external to the organization, including researchers, clinicians and technical personnel
- Ability to design and conduct large-scale, relevant studies
- Strong grasp of appropriate data analysis techniques
- Clear and flexible verbal, written and telephonic communication skills
- Cognizant and welcoming of differences in the human condition
- 7 – 10 years of experience as an Anthropologist in an organization with similar expectations
- Familiarity with Anthropological insights, values, and research approaches
- Proven record of completing investigations and publishing technical works [research papers and journal articles] that may include: political ecology of health, disease, and/or nutrition; perceptions of risk, vulnerability, and responsibility for illness and health care; or analysis of health and the environment within a Science and Technology Studies (STS) framework.
- Willingness to travel if required.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online