The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-UN) – An intergovernmental organization, FAO has 194 Member Nations, two associate members and one member organization, the European Union. Its employees come from various cultural backgrounds and are experts in the multiple fields of activity FAO engages in. FAO’s staff capacity allows it to support improved governance inter alia, generate, develop and adapt existing tools and guidelines and provide targeted governance support as a resource to country and regional level FAO offices. Headquartered in Rome, Italy, FAO is present in over 130 countries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Security Specialist
Vacancy Announcement: 2002455
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Organizational Unit: FRNIR
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level: N/A
Duration: 11 Months
Post Number: N/A
- The National Security Specialist, under the general oversight of the FAO Representative (FAOR) and direct supervision of the Head of the FAO North East Sub-Office, in close collaboration with the Emergency Programme Coordinator and under the technical guidance of the Regional Security Officer at the FAO Regional Office for Africa (RAF) and Officers of the FAO Security Service (CSDS) at headquarters, the National Security Specialist will be expected to fulfil all relevant technical functions aimed at protecting FAO personnel, premises, assets and operations in North-East Nigeria and ensure compliance with United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS) requirements.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide professional security and safety service to enable FAO programme delivery;
- Monitor the security environment in the Area of Responsibility (AoR) of FAO Maiduguri and provide timely and accurate security information/advice to the FAO Maiduguri Office management and, upon request, to the Regional Security Officer at the FAO Regional Office for Africa (RAF) and FAO Security Service (CSDS) at headquarters;
- Maintain close security coordination with UNDSS, UNSMS security focal points; with government counterparts and other local authorities in the AoR (political and humanitarian, police, military, etc.);
- Provide written reports and assists FAO staff with compiling Security Incident Reports;
- Participate in Security Cell meetings and provides input to United Nations Security Management System and processes;
- Conduct security planning, coordination and provides operational support to FAO field missions;
- Assists FAO Maiduguri management to ensure continuing compliance with the United Nations security policies, practices and procedures and ensures their implementation in the AoR;
- Coordinate all security related issues at the FAO Maiduguri office with the aim of protecting personnel, premises, assets and operations;
- Conduct regular security surveys and ensures compliance with Security Risk Management measures for all offices in AoR;
- Provide security training/briefings to all staff, dependents and visitors;
- Contribute to the planning, coordination and execution of evacuations and relocations of staff;
- In coordination with CSDS HQ, provides advice on selection and procurement of other appropriate security and safety equipment;
- Perform other duties as required.
Candidates Will Be Assessed Against the Following:
- National of Nigeria.
- Advanced university degree (for Consultants) in risk or emergency management, social/political science, military science, public administration, law enforcement, law or closely related technical field;
- At least 5 years of security risk management or safety and security service in a national security and/or military/police setting including two years in a leadership role;
- Working knowledge of English (level C)
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in risk management, safety and security services;
- Extent and relevance of experience, preferably in the UN Security Management System;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the formulation, implementation and monitoring of safety and security policies;
- Demonstrated experience in writing concise reports in English;
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field security coordination positions is desirable.
Deadline: 17th November, 2020; 11:59:00 PM.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications