The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Assistant (WASH)
SVN No.: SVN2020.81
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
IOM Classification: G5
Organizational Unit: Water, Sanitation & Hygiene
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST) 6 Months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Slot: 2 Openings
- Working under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, Head of Office / Emergency coordinator, and Program manager Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH); and direct supervision of Project Officer (WASH) the incumbent will be responsible for carrying out WASH project functions in accordance with IOM’s regulations, rules and procedures. In particular, s/he will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Assist in implementation WASH projects according to the agreed response strategy and plan.
- Liaise closely with the WASH Project Manager and other WASH Project assistants throughout the planning, implementation and monitoring stages of WASH projects
- Participate in the assessments, definition of technical documents and contracts for the construction, rehabilitation and upgrading of WASH facilities.
- Participate in assessments of water and sanitation needs.
- Continuously assist to monitor and the WASH activities using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Regularly support the WASH technical supervisors, Hygiene promoters and WASH daily works working at the field
- Monitor and verify WASH projects are implemented in line with the requirements and in accordance with IOM, donor, Sector, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
- Assist in the preparation of technical site layout, and bill of quantities for all planned works. Provide technical inputs to logistics / procurement in calling for bids, technical evaluation, assist in preparing the contractual agreements and monitoring the work of successful contractors.
- Support in preparing the requests of the materials, and verifying the technical specifications and quality delivered by suppliers and contractors.
- Support site planning in terms of locating WASH facilities as required in new site developments and extensions. Conduct a topographical survey and setting out of drainage lines.
- Continually support to assess emergency needs, as requested, especially taking in the broader perspective of emergency WASH and public health.
- Submit daily, weekly and monthly reports on time using standard format.
- Effectively work together with other WASH Sector partners in executing WASH emergency response activities. Ensure that effective communication and networking is developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration.
- Coordinate closely with local government and sectoral stakeholders / counterparts to exchange information on the implementation of WASH projects.
- Assess areas for improvement and record lessons learnt for future activities.
- Any other task not listed above when requested by the supervisors
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree or Master’s in Civil Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Architecture, Public Health, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 3 years of relevant experience or High School Diploma in the above fields with five years of relevant working experience
- Experience in humanitarian field is mandatory. WASH in emergencies is an asset.
- Proficiency in computer applications (MS Word, Excel, Outlook etc).
- Versatile in use of design-related software (e.g. AutoCAD) and ability to prepare schedules/bills of quantities and cost estimates
- Demonstrated ability to maintain integrity in performing responsibility assigned
- Proactive; independent worker; A great team player; Fast Learner; IT Literate: Interpersonal skill; Communication and negotiation skills; Administrative & Time Management skills; Proficiency in Microsoft applications; Must have strong analytical, planning and people management skills; Ability to prepare clear and concise report
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of the local language.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules and standards of conduct.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This is a national position and only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
Deadline: 30th November, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position number on subject line.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2020.81 Maiduguri. Project Assistant (WASH) G5.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.