West Africa Container Terminal (WACT) is one of the first green field container terminals to be built in Nigeria under public-private partnership. WACT is located in Onne port (some 30kms from Port-Harcourt) in Rivers State. We have been successfully connecting East, North, West Central Nigeria and Rivers state to the world. We run a profitable business that has been made possible through top-quality services, cordial business relations with customers, regular interaction with stakeholders, human resource development, modern handling equipment and superior e-commerce capabilities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: RTG Operator
Location: Onne, Rivers
Job Type: Full Time
- Operates rubber tyred gantry cranes to load and unload containers to and from internal and external road trucks in the port.
- Park/Gantry the RTG according to the Traffic Management Plan and Yard Supervisor and equipment handling instructions
- Handle the containers with care (Avoid Rough handling on Trucks).
- Perform equipment precheck at beginning of shift to ensure that all of the parts are operating properly.
- Identifies and reports any safety problems, malfunctions, or damage to quay crane equipment, before, during or after the shift.
- Operate the RTG safely according to the received instructions / information from the Yard Supervisor and terminal operating system (TOS) while carrying out all RTG activities (Discharge, load, Re-Stow, Etc.).
- Ensure achieving all agreed targets productivity with Zero Accident
- Assist in the training of employees in the Operation of the RTG as required by Management
- Report all the defects as and when noticed to yard Supervisor & Technical RTG team.
- Follows safe operating procedures and instructions, preventing any injury to persons, or damage to containers and other equipment and property.
- Carries out duties and tasks in an efficient, productive manner.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Acts as foreman under Hook when not operating the RTG Cranes.
We are looking for:
- Minimum: SCCE / WAEC requirement.
- Requires a comprehensive understanding of container terminal operations, especially vessel cargo logistics, hazardous cargo, break-bulk and special cargo handling requirements and equipment.
- Good hand eye coordination and good sense of depth perception.
- Able to work at heights, No Acrophobia, must have a sense of depth and distance perception.
- Requires at least two years or more of equipment operations terminal operations environment, or similar, related industry.
- Previous experience as a reach stacker operator or empty handler would be expected as a natural progression to this position.
- Is thoroughly familiar with the strict implementation of international standards of safe working practices terminal operations.
- Basic English: oral and writing skills. Also, must have a working knowledge of the Pidgin English.
- Previous experience of working in a multi-cultural environment is an advantage.
- Has a current Driving License.
- No past record of safety and operational procedure breaches / warnings
- We run a profitable business that has been made possible through top-quality services, cordial business relations with customers, regular interaction with stakeholders, human resource development, modern
- handling equipment and superior e-commerce capabilities.
Contract Type / Duration
The role is on a contract basis for Twelve (12) months fixed term contract with the option of:
- Possible renewal, or
- Outsourcing to a third-party supplier.
Deadline: 23rd November, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online