The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Programme Assistant (IBM)
SVN No.: SVN2020.083
Organizational Unit: Immigration and Border Management
IOM Classification: G7
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Working under the overall supervision of the IOM Chief of Mission, and under the direct supervision of the IOM Nigeria IBM Senior Programme Manager, and with close coordination with the relevant technical support from the IBM Senior Regional Thematic Specialist and the Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Division at IOM Headquarters (HQs) in Geneva, and with support from specialist consultants with specific tasks within IOM Nigeria IBM projects, successful candidates’ primary role will be to coordinate project implementation of all components of one of Immigration and Border Management projects
- The IBM Senior Programme Assistant will also take responsibility as requested for coordination of implementation of the broader IBM portfolio of projects at IOM Nigeria
- Successful candidates will work in close collaboration with key Nigerian government partners and with the donor community; contribute to monitoring and analysis of national and trans-national trends relevant to the IOM Nigeria IBM portfolio; and, contribute Nigerian perspective and support to regional IBM projects affecting Nigeria.
In particular, s/he will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Provide overall support to the IBM Senior Programmed Manager.
- Supporting the IBM Programme Manager in liaison with relevant governmental, non-governmental entities (NGOs), international organizations as well as other relevant stakeholders where necessary for the effective implementation of the activities of project and participate in coordination meetings with governments, NGOs and other stakeholders where required.
- Lead, coordinate and directly supervise the work of the Project Assistant and the Project Junior Assistant in the following areas:
- Tracking and coordinating the work in all project components.
- Collecting and providing necessary information and assists in planning, preparing, organising and implementing all aspects of the project activities, including preparations and support to special consultancies occurring in the project.
- Assisting in timely implementation of project activities.
- Ensuring proper documentation of project documents and filing.
- Assisting in the monitoring and evaluation of project activities.
- Supporting visibility and communication activities related to the project.
- Assisting in the planning, preparation and implementation of seminars, conferences, workshops, meetings, presentations and missions related to the project, undertake duty travel when necessary.
- Assisting in reporting to donors and partners, in IOM and donor formats as required.
- Assisting with in-house coordination among IOM finance, procurement, security and other relevant support units at IOM Nigeria.
- Researching, compiling and presenting information on developments on new trends and policies in the field of migration in the country for successful implementation of the project activities.
- Identify and document good practices and lessons learned and contribute to the development of Standard Operations Procedures (SOP), policies and concept papers.
- Supporting the development of new related projects based on identified needs during project implementation.
- Work in coordination with other project leads within the unit to achieve common goals.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University Degree from an accredited institution in Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations and / or Law.
- A minimum of five years of experience closely related to development or humanitarian project administration and management;
- Demonstrated knowledge (non-expert) in the technical areas relevant to IOM mandate areas for project implementation and development;
- Experience working on migration issues in a project setting; and,
- Direct experience in border management data systems in the migration sector will be an added advantage.
- Substantive experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions, the UN and NGOs;
- Strong planning, coordination and logistics skills related to implementation of complex activities.
- Ability to independently carry out tasks, proactivity, ability to multi-task and to prioritize.
- Knowledge of social and development issues in Nigeria, particularly within area of responsibility.
- Experience of supporting all aspects of project management and familiarity with international standards and EU regulations.
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of local language an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Managerial Competencies – Behavioural indicators level 3:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their Applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position applied on subject line.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts Applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” and with a subject line “SVN2020.083 Abuja. Senior Programme Assistant (IBM), G7”
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- This position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 7th December, 2020.