African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative Assistant, PIAC.0
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50078451
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the ADB and the ADF. The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Independent Development Evaluation Department (BDEV); Office of Integrity and Anti-Corruption (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat(PSEG).
The Hiring Department:
- The Office of Integrity and Anti-Corruption (PIAC) plays an integral role in achieving this mandate by protecting the Bank’s corporate image and reputation, and improving the continent’s investment climate through the deterrence, prevention and reduction of fraud, corruption, staff misconduct and other harmful practices within the Bank Group.
- PIAC has the overriding mandate developing preventive measures to reduce fraud and corruption in bank operations, to undertake unhindered investigations into allegations of corruption, fraud and other malpractices in Bank Group Financed Operations, conduct investigations into allegations of misconduct involving staff members of the Bank.
- Under the supervision of the Senior Data Analytics and Performance Officer and overall guidance and leadership of the Director, Office of Integrity and Anti-Corruption, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for procurement processes and payments and other administrative duties.
Within the Office of Integrity and Anti-Corruption, the Administrative Assistant role is to:
- Ensure procurement, administrative and financial management duties of the department are carried out effectively and efficiently.
- Ensure timely processing of invoices and follow-up until beneficiaries receive payment.
- Provide general administrative support to the Office of Director PIAC and two (2) Divisions of PIAC.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Division Manager, the Administrative Assistant shall carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
Administrative and Financial Management:
- Assist cost centre managers in the process of recruiting consultants and institutional procurement by ensuring that Bank rules, procedures and principles are respected;
- Initiate and monitor the procurement process for goods and services and any other departmental and external events in collaboration with Procurement, Accounting and Treasury Department
- Ensure timely processing of payments to eligible vendors for goods, services and consultancies procured on timely basis; bearing in mind compliance with Bank’s policies, guidelines and standards.
- Processing of staff missions’ advances and claims
- Arrange travel, visa and accommodation, arrange logistics for visitors, including external experts and consultants.
- Provide general administrative support for the department liaising with Procurement Department in respect of office accommodation, allocation of office furniture, equipment and supplies to the department.
- Initiate and prepare administrative documents and forms, such as staff absences (annual leave, home leave, and maternity leave
- Handles internal and general public enquiries; screen telephone calls from within the bank and from external clients, organize and maintain electronic diaries and make follow-up on appointments.
- Take notes at meetings, write letters, and prepare minutes of meetings as may be required.
- Prepare documents, briefing papers, reports, spreadsheets and presentation.
Resource Management Support:
- Provide support on all issues related to resource planning and work program implementation.
- Hold at least a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in Accounting, Business, Economics, Finance;
- A minimum of five (05) years of relevant work experience, preferably in finance and administrative role;
- Excellent communication skills;
- High degree of tact and sensitivity in dealing with internal and external clients and stakeholders at all levels;
- Results-Oriented, team player, demonstrated ability to work in multicultural environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different nationals and cultural backgrounds;
- Integrity and honesty;
- Excellent planning and organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently and manage challenges;
- Proven ability to work in a team / team player;
- Interpersonal skills with ability to relate with employees and management at all levels;
- Problem solving skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other. Proficiency in both languages is an asset;
- Competence in the use of the Bank’s standard software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Job Title: Somalia Infrastructure Fund Officer, RDGE
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Position N°: 50078930
- The Vice President, Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP), is responsible for the relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programmes and activities.
- The RDVP Vice-President ensures that the Bank carries out its activities effectively in all its RMCs and supervises the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s regional management. Five Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs have been created, each run by a Director General: Southern Africa, North Africa, West Africa; East Africa, and Central Africa.
The Hiring Department / Country Office:
- Each of the RDVP Hubs is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries. The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s.
- The position is under the Regional Development and Business Delivery Office, East Africa (RDGE) and located in the East Africa regional office in Nairobi, Kenya. The position is supervised by the Deputy Director General for East Africa (RDCE) who is also the Country Manager for Somalia.
The position of the Somalia Infrastructure Fund and Country Program Officer, has the following work objectives:
- Ensure the efficient operation of the Somalia Infrastructure Fund to enhance delivery of the Fund’s objectives;
- Contribute to developing and managing high level partner relations with Somalia Infrastructure Fund contributors, government partners and aid coordination;
- Support the mobilization of resources for the Somalia Infrastructure Fund.
- Coordinate investment operations financed from funds mobilized through the Somalia Infrastructure Fund.
- Coordinate country program activities for Somalia
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Director General (RDCE), the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
Resource Mobilization. Partnership Development and Donor Coordination:
- Participate in resource mobilization efforts, including but not limited to fundraising events, development of proposals for internal and external consideration, and following up with potential donors.
- Support the DDG in building and management of relationships with various stakeholders including the Government of Somalia, development partners and implementing agencies.
- Serve as the focal point for Somalia Infrastructure Fund activities, responding to ad hoc queries.
- Participate as part of the Bank’s delegation in donor meetings including the Somalia Partnership Forum, Somalia Development and Reconstruction Facility (SDRF) Steering Committee, Working Groups, SDRF Trust Fund Administrators meetings etc.
- Organise Somalia Infrastructure Fund donor briefings.
- Collaborate with the legal department in preparation and finalization of Somalia Infrastructure Fund Donor Contribution Arrangements.
- Advise the Bank on SDRF guidelines and approval processes for Somalia Infrastructure Fund. operations.
- Support the design and appraisal of projects;
- Support the preparation of analytical and knowledge products;
- Track the progress in implementation and overall performance of projects and their contribution towards the country’s priorities;
- Follow up and ensure country portfolio performance is in line with the bank’s policies and key performance indicators
- Ensure inclusion of proposed studies and projects in the pipeline of projects;
- Participate in identification, appraisal, launching and supervision missions, as necessary;
- Ensure that projects conform with the country’s policies, priorities and development plans as well as with Bank Group policies and priorities;
- Contribute to reviewing activity progress reports, project completion reports, and other evaluation outputs to assess corrective actions, if required.
Policy and Strategy:
- Support policy dialogue with the government on key issues including infrastructure development, public financial management, financial and economic governance, arrears clearance and resilience;
- Support the preparation of the Country Strategy Paper, Country Policy and Institutional Assessments and Fiduciary Risk Assessments.
- Propose any changes that may be necessary in the Somalia Infrastructure Fund operations and procedures manual.
- Monitor and identify potential risks and mitigation measures for Somalia Infrastructure Fund operations.
- Participate in the risk management group meetings and work programs, to conduct analysis and propose recommendations for managing risks faced by SDRF funding windows.
Communication and Public Relations:
- Preparation of the Somalia Infrastructure Fund bi-annual progress reports and briefs with contributions from implementing partners, Somalia Country Team, project task managers and other Bank departments including disbursement and financial control;
- Liaise with the Bank’s task managers and implementing agencies to gather visibility material including photos, videos and success stories for projects implemented in Somalia;
- Disseminate Somalia Infrastructure Fund and other project progress reports to donors and other stakeholders;
- Manage and prepare input for the Somalia Infrastructure Fund webpage;
- Prepare press releases on key events such as signatory and knowledge-sharing events;
- Ensure the highest level of visibility for partners;
- Engage with beneficiaries.
- Participate in the recruitment of Consultants and Team Assistants, as necessary, and assist them to on-board;
- Hold at least a minimum of a Master’s degree in a relevant development discipline.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional working experience is required
- Professional experience in-country programming in an international development institution is added advantage;
- Experience in handling development operations a fragile state;
- Experience in managing and preparing reports for trust or special fund is an added advantage;
- Innovation and creativity – Initiates and implements creative performance improvements, and sustains forward momentum;
- Communication – Communicates with clarity and persuasively to get things done; keeps colleagues regularly informed about relevant topics and updates;
- Problem-solving – Applies knowledge of past situations/trends as appropriate; generates and tests multiple hypotheses or explanations for a given situation;
- Client orientation – Identifies client needs and business trends and proactively consults with them to deliver integrated, customized solutions;
- Team working and relationships – Collaborates with colleagues to drive goal achievement; and uses a network across functions to deliver results;
- Operational effectiveness – Takes initiative to improve practices and products to maximize efficiency and effectiveness; Delivers quality initiatives in order to enhance team’s performance. Produces high-quality work and manages multiple tasks under tight deadlines.
- Good knowledge of Fund management best practices
- Ability to effectively interact with national authorities and technical and financial partners on policy and aid coordination issues
- Ability to address issues of portfolio management across sectors ® Experience in working in a transition state
- Proven ability to monitor programs and to ensure quality of portfolio/program performance
- Experience in risk management, economic and political analysis
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), knowledge of SAP will be an advantage.
Deadline: 18th December, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information / Notice
- This position is classified as international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG(link sends e-mail)
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts.
- The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.