New Hall International School Lekki is an integral part of the community both educationally and socially. The School looks bright and welcoming. We have a beautiful learning environment for our children with world-class teaching and learning facilities. Our school offers a wide range of learning experiences from academics to morals and sports. Our curriculum is a unique blend of British and Nigeria based on our philosophy that children’s heritage and culture should be preserved even in attempts at internationalism.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Guidance Counsellor
- We are one of the leading international schools in Lagos, our mission is to redefine the outlook of quality education
- To achieve this, we are seeking a Guidance Counsellor who is ready to join our team of vibrant and passionate educators to contribute to the balanced and qualitative education our school delivers.
- We want to hear from you if you really can change our education world by meeting the following criteria’s.
- Provide crisis intervention to students when difficult situations occur at school
- Discuss with parents, guidance, teachers, administrators and other professionals the children’s progress
- Resolve behavioural, academic and other problems, and determine priorities for students and their resource needs
- Counsel students to help them understand and overcome personal, social or behavioural problems affecting their educational activities
- Counsel students regarding educational issues such as course and program selection, registration, school adjustment, study habits and career planning
- Maintain accurate and complete student records required by administrative regulation
- Evaluate students’ abilities, interests and personality characteristics, using tests, records, interviews and professional sources
- Observe students during classroom and play activities to evaluate students’ performance, behaviour, social development and conduct follow-up interviews with counselees to determine if their needs have been met
- Provide training, workshops, seminars and special programs to teach students to handle conflicts without resorting into violence
- Collaborate with principals to conduct orientation programs and group conferences to promote the adjustment of individuals to new life experiences
- Collaborate with principals in developing, -coordinating and implementing the school’s guidance, administrative rules and directives
- Collaborate with principals to review transcripts to ensure the students meet graduation/ college entrance and write letters of recommendation
- Collaborate with principals to determine appropriate disciplinary measures for students.
- An enthusiastic, energetic, ambitious, and smart individual with a resounding track record of success as a guidance counsellor
- Knowledge of child policy regulation and its implementation
- Quality exposure to British and Nigerian curricula
- An evidence of continually improving the behaviour of students
- An experience of raising attainment in a challenging learning environment
- B.Sc / B.Sc Ed / PGDE / M.Ed in Guidance Counselling, Psychology
- At least (Seven) 7 years’ experience of coaching, managing and co-ordinating students’ in the educational sector
- A record of past accomplishments and experience in collaborating with various stakeholders to accomplish school goals
- An experience developing positive relationships with colleagues, staff members, parents, and students.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Therapy and counselling- Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures or diagnosis, treatment and for career counselling and guidance
- A thorough understanding of the current and changing educational landscape
- Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum design, teaching and learning of students
- Understanding the needs and motivations of young people
- Knowledge of human behaviour and performance; psychological research methods and the assessment and treatment of the behavioural and affective disorder
- Critical thinking-Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions conclusions or approaches to problems
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms and other relevant office procedures
- Proficient in the use of ICT for management of data, as well as the ability to work effectively with all Microsoft office suites, such as Word, Excel, power-point
- Proven track record in the delivery of an outstanding student experience
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs, assessments, meeting quality standards and evaluation of customer satisfaction
- A professional role model for all students and educators in attitude, demeanour, and appearance
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Proven expertise in organisational time-management, interpersonal, evaluation, negotiation, decision making, and good working relationship skills
- An approachable, personable individual with a good sense of humour
- A flexible, adaptable, decisive individual with great attention to details
- Ability to establish and develop excellent relationships with the community and other stakeholders
- Ability to develop children to reach their full potential regardless of background or circumstances
- Experience of supporting and implementing change
- Ability to create a safe, happy, and successful environment
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV and Cover Letter in not more than 250 words stating why you are the best applicant for this role to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Note: Please make sure you meet the necessary requirements before applying for this position.