INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Protection Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno with frequent missions in the field (Ngala, Bama, Magumeri and Dikwa LGAs), Borno State, Nigeria
Starting Date: 01/01/2021
Contract Duration: 8 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission (hierarchical) + Protection Advisor (functional)
Supervision of: 1 international staff and 05 National staff “Senior protection officers” (2 OFDA, 1 ECHO/UNHCR) plus 2 Psychologist”.
Dependents: Non-family Duty Station /non-accompanied
General Context of the Project
- Since 2009, the Boko Haram insurgency has crippled northeastern Nigeria. Borno State continues to be most affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 22 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
- In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS is implementing more than 6 projects addressing critical gaps in health and nutrition, WASH, food security, shelter, Camp Coordination and Camp Management and protection services for a highly vulnerable population in the newly accessible host communities in the Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Ngala (Ngala-Gambaru), Bama (Banki, Bama), Monguno and Dikwa (Dikwa), Borno State, Nigeria.
- In line with its 2018 Country Strategy, INTERSOS intend to strengthen its capacities and response on the ground in protection sector (protection monitoring, CP and GBV), as a sector by itself and as protection mainstreaming within the whole INTERSOS Nigeria program.
General Purpose of the Position:
- In collaboration with the HOM, define and coordinate the implementation of the protection strategy of the mission.
- Provide technical guidance and advices to protection staff in Nigeria ensuring the different components of the programme are delivered according to internal guidelines and in line with international standards and principles, in order to achieve mission’s goals effectively, according to INTERSOS vision and values
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
Coordination and support:
- Contribute to design the protection strategy and provide technical support and assistance to the implementation of protection-related activities
- Contextualize and adapt internal and global guidelines, guarantying these are rolled out and known by staffs
- Ensure cohesion and harmonization of protection activities and services across the different implementation sites within the mission
- Deliver training and workshops to protection staffs to strength skills on specific protection topics identified
- Deliver trainings and workshops to non-protection staffs to build skills and knowledge of protection principles and enable them to mainstream protection in different sectors
- Assess regularly protection needs and gaps of target populations in current and prospective areas of operations, periodically update the protection situation analysis and inform the programme teams accordingly
- Create opportunities for experience sharing and learning within the protection team in order to strengthen cooperation and collaboration
- Provide strategic protection analysis and development of periodic trend reports (including aspects of conflict analysis, gender and risk management) from programme experience to improve development, implementation and policy and advocacy activities
- Ensure that protection data is collected, archived, processed, analysed and disseminated in ethical modalities, in line with internal data protection protocols
- Regularly participate in technical monthly meeting with the Protection Unit (HQ) and the Protection Advisor, and update and share mission protection reports and other relevant protection databases as required by the Protection Advisor.
- Undertake regular field monitoring visits and provide support tools to monitor quality of programme implementation
- Identify opportunities for new protection interventions and support assessments and developments of new project proposals
- In cooperation with the accountability unit, support the development of complaints mechanisms for beneficiaries and make sure complaints are addressed properly
- In cooperation with the Accountability unit, follow up on the implementation of the Child Protection (CP) and Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) policies
Supervision and Staff Management:
- Directly supervise, coach and mentor GBV/PSS Specialists and Protection Officers and conduct regular performance reviews (IRP)
- Review work plans of GBV/PSS Specialists and Protection Officers and define priorities together with Protection Project Managers
- Organize ad hoc protection meetings with GBV/PSS Specialists, Protection Officers and Project Managers to share challenges and priorities and develop action plans to address them
Networking and Partnerships:
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donors, partners, project stakeholders and other organizations
- Maintain effective relationships with Protection, GBV and CP clusters and related working groups at national level
- Ensure that Protection Specialist and Protection Officers maintain productive relationships with sub-clusters at field level
- Ensure that main protection concerns are brought to relevant stakeholders to advocate for the respect of human rights and minimum protection standards
- Coordinate with other internal departments to guarantee good collaboration
- Network with Protection Coordinators from other missions to share best practices and resources.
- BA in relevant field (Social Science, Psychology, Social Work, Human Rights, International Humanitarian Law or other fields related to social development and humanitarian work)
- Desirable Master degree (MA or LLM) in Human Rights, International Humanitarian Law or related subjects
- Minimum of five years of relevant working experience in protection-related sectors, preferably within an INGO, and three years for higher education degree (Masters/LLM)
- Strong theoretical, technical and practical background in protection
- Excellent computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Previous overseas work experience, ideally with INGO or UN would be an advantage.
- Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity.
- Have experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Has a capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high-security contexts.
- Sound knowledge of M&E for Protection.
- Ability to adapt operate effectively under extreme circumstances including stress, high-security risks and harsh living conditions.
- Works and lives with a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner.
- Good written and spoken English and other languages as required.
- Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills.
- Excellent team-working and team-building skills, as well as ability to work under high pressure and with flexibility
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work and integrate in a multicultural team
- Problem solver, dynamic, mature
- Confidently able to deal with authorities and donors
- Pro-active approach to work
- Able to work independently as well as being a strong team player
- Flexibility, capacity of managing stress, good diplomatic skills
- Available to share accommodation facilities when required.
Deadline: 31st December, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online