The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Transport
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Division: Administration, Human Resources and Finance
Line Supervisor: Commissioner, Infrastructure
- Under the supervision of the Commissioner, Infrastructure, the incumbent shall lead three (3) technical divisions, namely (i) Roads and Railways; (ii) Maritime Transport, Transport Facilitation and Corridors; and (iii) Air Transport.
- The Director of Transport will therefore provide leadership and manage the Transport portfolio in line with Article 32 of the ECOWAS Treaty which seeks to support Member States evolve Common transport policies, laws & regulations, develop an extensive network of railways & all-weather highways within the Community, priority being given to Interstate Highways, improve maritime transportation and logistics, ensure a vibrant, affordable and well-connected Air Transport to support the Free movement of goods, persons and services.
- PPO Roads & Railways
- PPO Maritime & Transport
- PPO Air Transport.
Role and Responsibilities
- Advice on the preparation and implementation of common Transportation Policies, Laws & Regulations for the ECOWAS Community ;
- Implement interventions aimed at supporting the development of an extensive network of railways and the transformation of the community highways network into world class development corridors to spur economic growth within their zone of influence;
- Develop short, medium and long term programs and plans for the planning, construction, rehabilitation and/or maintenance of road and railways infrastructure in ECOWAS region;
- Formulate programs and projects for the improvement of Maritime transport including coastal shipping services & interstate inland waterways;
- Promote the development of an affordable, reliable, well connected and efficient Regional air transportation services within the West African Region and beyond;
- Develop policies, programs and strategies to ensure the standardization of the transportation services and systems in road transport (vehicles, loading limits, signage, design norms, equipment, maintenance & repairs, etc.); Air Transport (Aircrafts, Airports, Safety and Security, Pricing, etc.); Railway (gauges, rolling stock. Signaling, services and operations, management, etc.) and maritime (Port infrastructure capacity and security – ISPS compliant, port efficiency, etc.) as well as other transport modes deemed necessary in line with modern best practices;
- Perform managerial responsibilities for scheduling and resourcing project teams, preparing sector budgets, and the corresponding staff development measures to ensure implementation;
- Provide business support functions including financial management of projects, assistance with the preparation of bids and submissions, and the development and mentoring of other staff;
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Transport, Civil Engineering, Transport economics, Transport Policy / Planning or in similar field from a recognized University.
- 12 years of progressive experience in management of skills in the area of transport policy (road, sea, rail or air), infrastructure, engineering in a National or International structure;
- Experience of infrastructure analysis in the context of developing countries including 5 years relevant international work and 5 years at a supervisory level with demonstrated ability to oversee and lead policy development processes and programmes;
- Extensive experience in infrastructure projects;
- Experience managing at least 3 transport related projects at the regional, multinational or continental levels in at least two (2) key transport modes (Maritime, Rail, Air and Road).
- Experience in multi-modal transport that integrates all transport modes including air transport, railway development, port and border operations, transit systems, inland container depots, warehousing and logistics clusters
- Proven competence and capacity to engage member states in the implementation and enforcement of Common Transport Market policies; ability to support the establishment and operationalization of more viable, competitive and profitable regional Airlines to support the Regional Integration Agenda; ability to coordinate the smooth operation of major aviation organizations of relevance to the West African Region;
- Demonstrated expert knowledge of regional project and programme management, implementation and monitoring with inter-governmental agencies, private actors and international support groups within the framework of ECOWAS Infrastructure Strategy;
- Applied knowledge of infrastructural development to support economic priorities (macro), options for pro-poor infrastructure service delivery, infrastructure financing, budgeting and fund sourcing;
- Good knowledge of public infrastructure in West Africa, mindful of the opportunities and challenges;
- Ability to work with development partners, sub-regional bodies, Africa Union and other Regional Economic Communities to develop and implement development corridor initiatives, ports infrastructure and maritime transport and logistics programs and solutions for the economic and social development of West Africa;
- Experience in implementing at least three (3) projects using development partners’ procurement and disbursement procedures such as European Union, World Bank, DFID, AfDB, JICA etc.;
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
ECOWAS Key Competencies:
- Senior leadership experience in establishing strategic partnerships, working collaboratively and building consensus with multiple internal and/or external stakeholders on complex issues in a multi-disciplinary governmental or international organizations;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS mandate, strategic plan/priorities as well as the economic, political and social state/trends of member states, as pertains to own scope of work;
- Exhibit consistency on actions, values, methods, confidentiality, ethics, measures, principles, expectations and outcomes which connotes a deep commitment to do the right thing for the right reason, regardless of the circumstances;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Heads of Institutions, elected officials and statutory employees to facilitate compliance, build engagement, resolve conflicts and obtain support for change;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to promote a culture where people hold themselves personally accountable for results;
- Ability to provide leadership, management, and technical oversight for all project activities and program deliverables in accordance with ECOWAS legal and administrative practices and standards;
- Ability to conduct periodic reviews of staff performance in keeping with the ECOWAS performance management system and to mentor staff to ensure high levels of motivation, commitment, capacity, and teamwork;
- Ability to oversee project management, internal controls and stewardship of financial resources and to address issues in a confident and capable manner whilst making decisions that exemplifies impartial and non-partisan decision-making.
- Ability to exercise the initiative and resourcefulness necessary for simultaneously addressing a variety of stakeholder needs, pursuing multiple tasks and achieving positive outcomes;
- Ability to create synergies with client groups and others to achieve objectives in setting and monitoring service standards and indicators;
- Ability to motivate and engage others in promoting or adopting best practices in client services ;
- Ability to identify and improve services and client interactions through appropriate networks and to create innovative ways of addressing these in an accountable and transparent manner.
- Knowledge of anti-discriminatory/human rights regulatory environment and ability to advance strategies to foster an inclusive working environment and healthy organization respectful of cultural diversity and gender equality and free from harassment and discrimination;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, being sensitive to group differences, gender issues and ability to contribute to, advocate for, and/or develop policies which are gender sensitive and responsive to various cultures;
- Ability to foster a diverse and inclusive interactive work environment that can effectively bring together a wide spectrum of ideas and experiences to solve problems, develop projects/programs and improve results;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to remain objective in managing conflict regardless of cultural differences /positions, gender differences, and encourage other staff to overcome cultural and gender bias and differences.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills on matters relating to policy and strategy development important to the realization of the ECOWAS mandate and the improvement of outcomes for member states.
- Ability to analyze reports as well as socio-economic and institutional dynamics and recognize areas of potential obstacles or challenges and develop innovative solutions or alternatives to address barriers and achieve strategic/operational priorities;
- Ability to anticipate and interpret the effects of environmental changes (social, economic and political) and its impact and make recommendations;
- Understanding of the ECOWAS organizational structure, workplace culture and dynamics;
- Ability to apply knowledge of ECOWAS legal framework, strategic priorities and operational standards to develop/modernize policies and programs and/or to implement policies and programs in a sustainable and effective manner;
- Well-developed business, social and political acumen, demonstrating a strong commitment to the vision and mandate of ECOWAS coupled with a broad knowledge of the economic, political and social situations and trends in member states;
- Ability to identify/address strengths and weaknesses, stimulate creativity, reduce resistance to change and improve the achievement of strategic objectives;
- Ability to make prudent decisions relating to the management of human, financial and material resources.
- Ability to actively listen and understand perspectives of others to make informed assertions, decisions or recommendations;
- Ability to build multiple external collaborative relationships to support strategic and operational objectives; identify the key issues and accommodate the key players with well thought out communication and stakeholder management plans;
- Ability to communicate with clarity and conviction, make compelling presentations which promotes new insights, ideas and perspectives and a better understanding of issues and challenges;
- Exhibit active listening skills to encourage stronger communication amongst team members, to show care and make them feel valued and to drive employee engagement in all institutions and agencies;
- Excellent negotiation and conflict management skills focusing on building and nurturing effective and collaborative relationships;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to prepare plans, set clear objectives in a consistent manner and have effective oversight of performance management practices to ensure that goals and standards are met;
- Ability to set effective goals/results and manage change in a manner that demonstrates resilience, composure and a positive outlook in an environment of uncertainty and ambiguity;
- Ability to enable the development of organizational and individual talent throughout the implementation of strategic, operational, programme, project and individual plans;
- Ability to implement plans, mobilize/engage people, identify critical success factors, mitigate risks, monitor indicators and feedback, initiate corrective measure and build capacities for sustainability;
- Ability to institute rigorous monitoring, and evaluation practices and to learn from setbacks and mistakes to ensure continuous improvement.
UA 81,435.54 USD128,488.99.
Deadline: 7th February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly; attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Click here to download Application Form (Ms Word)