The Honourable Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, @DrlsaPantami, has approved the development and release of an improved National Identity Number (NIN) slip and a Mobile App. This is part of the Federal Government’s policy to improve the process of obtaining NIN and linking it to SIM, which was sent to the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) and the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) for implementation. The N20 and N40 fees for NIN verification by individuals and Mobile Network Operators, respectively, were also waived. These efforts are aimed at supporting the Policy to link subscribers’ NIN to their SIM, which was approved by the Federal Government earlier in the year and communicated to the NCC on the 4th of February, 2020.
KEY FEATURES OF INS
- Improved NIN Slip INS can be seif-printed by ID holder for a fee payable to Remita
- No special paper required. Is to be printed on regular A4 paper, front end back
- Slip is much smaller (slightly larger than an ATM card), can be laminated for a lower cost, and printed as many times as the ID Holder requires
- Verification is near-instantaneous. it requires a special app ( to control who has access to verify someone)
- There is a secure record of the transaction, which the ID Holder can request for (or appears in the Mobile ID app if they choose to install it on their Smartphone
Features of NIMC mobile app
1) Allows you to prove your identity with your smartphone on the go.
2) Used to verify and authenticate citizens and legal residents who already have NIN
3) Allow for its use across various other government services including FIRS, FRSC, NHIS, NPF, NYSC, etc.
How to use the NIMC Mobile App
- Download the App via https://t.co/PcZARs7Piu?amp=1
- Log in using your nin
- Dial *346*3# from the mobile number you enrolled with, your user ID and an OTP will be sent to your phone
- Input your user ID and OTP in the spaces provided
You will then receive a pop up congratulatory message that you have now been granted access.
NOTE: You need to have obtained the national identification number to access the app.
The mobile number used for the NIN enrollment must be used to generate your OTP and user ID