Gecko Five is positioned to become the fastest growing modern sports media brand in Africa. We aim to create the largest reach and engagement of millennials and Gen Z audiences across Africa. Every month, African millennial audiences will turn to Gecko Five publications across multiple channels for impactful conversation around the interests and issues engaging sports today. Gecko Five was founded in 2020 and is headquartered in Lagos, Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Junior Writer
Location: Lagos (Remote)
Employment Type: Part-time
- This role reports to the Editorial Lead and works closely with our content editors, marketing team and sales team.
- Gecko Five is seeking a remote, part-time writer to cover Football, Gaming and Culture. Day-to-day responsibilities include pitching and writing original reported football, gaming and culture stories (both short turnaround and longer lead), evergreen, service stories, and trend pieces about topics in Europe’s Top 5 major leagues, African football (national and leagues), esports and gaming, and general football culture.
- A passion for football and what moves fans plus an innate ability to trend-spot in the fields are crucial. Examples of the kinds of articles you’d work on include this interview with top player Thomas Partey on opportunities for African football; this season hair trend piece; and how players are dealing with the lockdown.
- The majority of stories will require the writer to find sources, conduct phone interviews, and cite peer-reviewed studies. A network of industry contacts and go-to experts (think agents, pundits, and footballers) is a plus.
- Candidates must have availability to work 3 days per week during business hours, WAT. The writer will work remotely and communicate with the Editorial Lead throughout their shift.
- Applicants should have at least 2 years experience covering youth/millennial themed topics at an online publication
- Ability to turn in clean, well-sourced, accurate copy in a timely fashion
- Comfort covering sensitive topics
- A sense for what makes a Gecko story
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
- Excite and inspire with an infectious curiosity and optimistic approach.
- Write 6 to 8 500-word stories per week comprising a mix of pitches and assignments
- Stay up-to-date on the latest football trends and research and influential opinion leaders in this space to produce authoritative content
- Manage ongoing assignments, including conducting interviews and follow-ups
Deadline: 14th February, 2021
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send a Cover Letter, Resume, and link to relevant writing and editing samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org