The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring and Reporting Officer
Job ID: 34814
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – Monitoring And Reporting
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affair’s (OCHA) mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to:
- Alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies
- Advocate for the rights of people in need
- Promote preparedness and prevention
- Facilitate sustainable solutions.
In December 1991, the General Assembly adopted Resolution 46/182 designed to strengthen the United Nation’s response to both complex emergencies and natural disasters. In addition, it aimed at improving the overall effectiveness of the UN’s humanitarian operations in the field.
In response to the humanitarian crisis in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in North East Nigeria, the Nigeria Humanitarian Fund (NHF) was launched in February 2017 by the United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator and became operational in June 2017.
The NHF is a multi-donor pooled fund, a critical source of predictable, quick and flexible funding to address the most urgent humanitarian needs in North East Nigeria.
In line with the global Country-based Pooled Funds (CBPFs) guidelines, the NHF has set up a robust, four-pillar accountability framework (partner capacity/performance assessment, monitoring, reporting and audits). The framework is set up to progressively improve fund management and increase the accountability towards the affected population, donors and other stakeholders by introducing the risk management approach to the NHF.
As of 31 October 2020, the NHF has received US$130 million in contributions from 20 donors. The Fund has conducted 11 allocations totaling US$111.7 million, funding more than 174 humanitarian assistance projects being implemented by UN Agencies, National NGO and International NGO partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitoring and Reporting (M&R) is an important function within the NHF, serving as the foundation for measuring the results being achieved by the Fund. The NHF has adapted to monitoring constraints resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic by conducting monitoring missions remotely.
- The Monitoring and Reporting Officer, under the guidance of the Head, Humanitarian Financing Unit (HFU), and direct supervision of the NHF International Monitoring and Reporting Officer, participates in the overall implementation of the NHF Accountability Framework and works in close collaboration with the HFU staff. Conditions permitting, He/she is expected to travel extensively to the NHF project locations within Nigeria to assist with the implementation of the monitoring pillar of the NHF Accountability Framework.
Summary of Key Functions
- Provide support to the implementation of the monitoring pillar of the NHF accountability framework.
- Facilitate knowledge-building and knowledge-sharing on monitoring and reporting within OCHA Nigeria and the NHF implementing partners
- Provide support to narrative reports review process of NHF funded projects.
- Provide Information management and data management support
Provide support to the implementation of the monitoring pillar of the NHF accountability framework:
- Perform monitoring missions in line with the NHF monitoring plan.
- Assist with the coordination and implementation of field monitoring visits and remote monitoring of NHF-funded projects.
- Document, analyze, and interpret the results from field monitoring visits and remote monitoring to assess the progress against the strategic objectives of the Allocation and the Fund.
- Review submitted project monitoring reports, analyze the results and follow up on recommendations with respective partners.
- Provide training and capacity support on monitoring and reporting to NHF partners, in line with NHF Training Plan.
Provide support to narrative reports review process of NHF funded projects:
- Liase with partner to receive progress narrative reports in time as per defined operational modalities of NHF funded project.
- Review narrative reports and provide feedback to partners.
- Guide partners and respond partners‘ queries about narrative reporting.
Provide Information management and data management support:
- Perform the periodic update of project monitoring timelines, results and recommendations in the Grant Management System (GMS).
- Collect location level data of NHF funded projects to support location mapping.
- Support the management of partner capacity assessment information in the GMS
- Ensure data consistency among different progress reports submitted by partner.
- Liase with sector IMOs on ad-hoc basis to know partners reportng performacne to relevat sectors.
Facilitate knowledge-building and knowledge-sharing on financial monitoring within OCHA Nigeria and the NHF implementing partners:
- Identify and synthesize financial monitoring best practices, lessons learned and recommendations to be integrated into fund management efforts and channeled into decision-making processes;
- Promote awareness on NHF guidelines, and operational manuals;
- Plan and participate in trainings/workshops to implementing partners and other stakeholders.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the overall effectiveness and success of OCHA interventions and activities in providing Humanitarian assistance.
- Effective implementations of evaluation policies and strategies, as well as efficient organization and coordination of the evaluation process, enhance the organization’s capacity and credibility in implementation of highly effective programmes with strong impact.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree preferably in Political or Social Science, Law, International Studies, Public Administration, or other relevant science is required.
- A first level university degree with relevant academic qualifications with a combination of 4 years of relevant work experience may exceptionally be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 2 years experience with the UN or an NGO in emergency humanitarian programming,crisis/emergency relief management or other related area.
- Strong report writing skills and experience with proposal development and review.
- Knowledge of logical frameworks, workplans and monitoring plans.
- Proven experience of coordinating field assessments would be an advantage.
- Proven experience of data management and analysis would be an advantage.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of Hausa an advantage.
- Knowledge of a range of humanitarian assistance, emergency relief and related humanitarian issues, including approaches and techniques to address difficult problems.
- Demonstrates analytical capacity including the ability to analyze and articulate the humanitarian dimension of issues which require a coordinated UN response.
- Ability to identify issues and judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve a wide range of problems.
- Ability to conduct research, including ability to evaluate and integrate information from a variety of sources and assess impact on the humanitarian rights situation in assigned country/area.
- Ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment (e.g. civil strife, natural disasters and human misery); ability to provide guidance to new/junior staff.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Deadline: 2nd February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Applicant Information / Notice
- Applicant information about UNDP rosters
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.