The Lagos State University (LASU) was established in 1983 by the Enabling Law of Lagos State of Nigeria, for the advancement of learning and establishment of academic excellence. The University which took off with three Faculties – Law and Humanities, Education and Science – has grown to become a citadel of repute with high standards.
The University caters for a student population of over 20,000, enrolled in fill-time and part-time programmes at the Diploma, Undergraduate and Postgraduate Levels.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Vice Chancellor
- In consonance with the relevant provisions of the Lagos State University Law 2004 [as amended], the Governing Council wishes to commence the process of appointing the 9th substantive Vice Chancellor Lagos State University.
The Lagos State University Law 2004 [as amended] provides that the Vice Chancellor shall:
- Exercise general supervision over the University;
- Have a general responsibility to the Council for maintaining and promoting the efficiency and good order of the University;
- Ensure that the provisions of the Law, Ordinances and Regulations are observed;
- Be a member of Council;
- Be the Chairman of the University Senate, which is the highest decision making body for all academic matters [i.e. student admissions, examinations and graduation, establishment of new academic programmes etc.] in the University; AND
- Have responsibility for maintaining discipline in the University.
The job demands a person who can harness meagre financial resources to full effect in running the University AND who is able to attract grants from financing bodies, especially international donor agencies. The candidate should be able to cope adequately with varying needs of staff and students as wet as emerging contemporary problems, especially those that are related to social life of students in an increasingly dynamic and urban University.
The Post of Vice Chancellor, Lagos State University
- The Vice Chancellor is a Principal Officer as well as the Chief Executive Officer Chief Academic Officer AND Chief Image Maker of the University
- The Vice Chancellor will, therefore, be expected to have a deep understanding of the terrain, operations of the University as well as provide strategic vision and leadership to propel Lagos State University as a foremost University in Nigeria, with world-wide recognition.
- The Vice Chancellor will have to play a pivotal role in taking Lagos State University to higher pedestal in the 21st Century.
- It will be the duty of the Vice Chancellor to ensure that standard does no fall in ALL academic programmes, especially in programmes in which the University is highly reputed AND that relatively new programmes attain enviable standards, such that accreditation granted to academic programmes are sustained. The Vice Chancellor must be a proven and successful manager of human and material resources.
- The criteria to be met by candidates for the post of Vice Chancellor, Lagos State University are that each candidate:
- Should be a distinguished scholar of the rank of a full Professor of at least five (5) years standing with several years of teaching and research in a University;
- Must possess a Ph.D. degree / Fellowship of world renowned medical college(s);
- He/she must be an international renowned scholar with clear catalogue of extensive publications in international journals prior to and after attaining the rank of Professor;
- Must be grounded in the finest academic tradition;
- Must be a scholar with international appeal having made significant impact in areas such as international supervision and examination of Ph.D/Fellowship, conference presentations etc;
- Must demonstrate relentless scholarship impact within and outside the country in terms of continuous production of books, papers, students supervised (especially Ph.D/Fellowship), exchanges, collaborations after his/her attainment of the rank of Professor;
- Must have a proven track record of attracting research grants with grant number clearly stated or other evidence to confirm same;
- Must not be more than 65 years old as at the date of possible assumption of duty;
- Must command high intellectual respect of his/her colleagues;
- Must be information and communication technology compliant [candidates would be subjected to practical assessment in line with global best practice];
- Must have a proven track record of university administration, management and governance, as well as proven evidence of leadership qualities,
- Must be a visionary leader capable of moving the University into prominence in the 21st century;
- Must possess the ability to sustain harmony between Council, other organs of the University Administration, Staff and Students on one hand and between the University and the host communies on the other hand
- Must demonstrate capacity and requisite skills to lead and inspire Principal Officers, Senior Management and Staff at all levels to realize the core objectives and mandates of the University;
- Must be a very resourceful personality with initiative, vision and drive for sustaining the accelerated pace of development of the University
- Must enjoy excellent physical and mental health, with verifiable certificates to that effect;
- Must be morally upright and of impeccable rectitude;
- Must have national and international exposure beyond academics and must be a distinguished world-class personality
- Must be a go-getter and must see fund-raising as a major strategy for sustaining the autonomy of the University;
- Must be a strategic thinker with passion for digital application and innovation in higher education.
- The Vice Chancellor shall hold office for a Single Term of five  years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment.
The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice Chancellor in Nigerian Universities and as may be determined from time to time by the Government/Governing Council, as appropriate.
Deadline: 4th February, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should apply with Twenty-five  copies of their detailed Curriculum Vitae [CV], providing information on the following:
- Full Name
- Place and Date of Birth
- Marital Status: Number and Ages of Children
- Academic qualifications [degree with classes; copies of certificates to be enclosed].
- Teaching, Research, Administrative and Managerial experience
- Academic distinctions
- Membership of Academic AND Professional Bodies
- Scholarly Publications [well referenced and listed in chronological order]
- Vision for the University in the next five  years [NOT more than 5,000 words or a minimum of 1000 words]
- Names and Addresses of three  referees who should be able to attest to the candidate’s standing and abilities academically and managerially as well as morals, character and integrity. Each referee must be contacted by the applicant to forward, directly to the Registrar a confidential report in a properly sealed envelope marked “Reference / Post of Vice Chanellor” at the top left hand corner of the envelope, to reach the Registrar on or before the deadline for submission of application.
All applications are to be submitted under Confidential Cover, with the envelope marked “Post of Vice Chancellor, LASU” sealed AND addressed to:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
Lagos State University,
P.M. B. 0001, LASU Post Office,
Ojo, Lagos State.
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to make themselves available for interview with the Joint Council AND Senate Selection Committee at a DATE that will be duly AND formally conveyed to such candidates in writing.
- Please note that only candidates who satisfy ALL the above criteria will be shortlisted and contacted for the next stage of the recruitment process.