The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Broadcast Journalist, BBC Hausa
Job Reference: BBC/TP/1065268/52366
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract Type: Permanent Full Time
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – W2020 Africa
- Originate and produce, as part of a team, a wide variety of news and current affairs content for relevant output.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver outputs in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- Take a lead within a team setting or on delivering a specific piece of journalism or project as appropriate
- To tailor different news treatments for different audiences ensuring that the output reflects the audiences we serve
- To prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines staffing and resources available
- To produce engaging packages through a range of production skills
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- May be required to present the content on radio, TV or on line. This might be live or recorded.
- May include the production and presentation of programmes. This might be live or recorded
- To liaise closely with other team members and with other departments in the BBC, to ensure that output material is shared, duplication is avoided, and best practice is upheld
- Exercise editorial judgment in developing story ideas and producing accurate and impartial journalism.
- To undertake pre and post production and studio work, live and pre-recorded. Use a range of video, audio & digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver programmes in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC Health and Safety policy
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- Significant recent experience as a journalist, with a good knowledge of production techniques
- Demonstrates sound editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage, the programme departments and the audience
- Effective planning and organising skills, ability to concentrate on several areas of work at one time, prioritising, delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities
- An understanding of Health & Safety procedures and how it applies to broadcasting
- Ability to use technology as required, in order to gather material for broadcast.
- Understands how a team works effectively and adopts the most appropriate role
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC
- High level of responsibility and decision making; able to operate alone.
- No managerial responsibility. May be informally supported by Junior staff i.e. Researchers, Coordinators and Assistants.
- Covers a wide range of journalism activity, producing news content and supporting the production and presentation ofprogramming.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 28th February, 2021.