Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC).
The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, and nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119 913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori II, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project.
In mid-2018, PUI has developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received door to door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. This opening in Monguno allowed PUI to reach the vulnerable population in Kukawa and Kroskawa LGA.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Nurse Assistant
Location: Monguno, Borno
Number of Position: 06
Contract Start Date: ASAP
Contract duration: 5 months (with posssible extension)
- Under the direct supervision of the OPD Supervisor or Team Leader, the Nurse assistant provides patients’ health care in collaboration other health team members in the facility.
- S/he assists the nurse and the rest of the medical team on duty with general nursing activities and over-all patient care according to international/national protocol and the given instructions under strict supervision/monitoring of a nurse, a supervisor or team leader.
- S/he follows PUI protocols and standards to ensure quality and continuity of care, promotion and restoration of health of the patients and population.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Perform general nursing duties such as monitoring of patient vital signs, wound care and dressings, insertion of cannulas, administration of IV fluids and injections, administration of Nebulisers as prescribed by a clinician
- Participate in the preparation of the material equipment and drugs for the consultation
- Conduct triage according to nurses’ protocols, detect priority acute cases in the waiting area and fill the health card (weight, BP, HR, temperature etc)
- Check the vaccination status of children less than 5 years old
- Ensure the good flow of patients avoiding overcrowded rooms and having patients standing up for long time while waiting for their turn
- Ensure a good level of communication and understanding between the PHC team and the patients
- Carry out first aid care when necessary
- Follow medical prescriptions
- Assist the clinician during certain health care acts when it is necessary
- Assist the clinician in the management of the referral cases
- Clean and sterilize the medical material according to procedures
- Collaborate with other departments as needed to ensure smooth implementation and integration of services
- Participate in any other activities such as vaccination, survey, etc…according to the needs
- Perform basic laboratory tests as requested by the clinician. (e.g. urinary sticks, pregnancy tests, capillary blood sugar, hemoglobin level)
- Provide health education following the protocols and key messages regarding hygiene, diseases, and prevention
- Educate patients in the self-management of their conditions and usage of medications Follow waste management according to waste management procedures
- Maintain the working environment in a clean and presentable state.
Medical Data Collection And Reporting:
- Verify that the medical prescriptions are readable, dated and signed
- Check expiry dates of medicines and report it directly to the supervisor
- Record accurately for each area, on a timely manner, the personal and health related data on the health card
- Register all the data needed about patients, referral, treatment in the appropriate registers and files
- Report to the supervisor any problem in the clinic especially the gap/loss/robbery/damage of medical equipment or medicines or any patient and organizational issue
- Ensure an oral and written handover at every team changeover, draw attention to any notable events during the shift
- Report directly any difficulties or delays in the implementation of activities
- Inform the direct supervisor of the various needs.
Internal And External Representation:
- Participate in any training in order to improve the quality and efficiency of nursing cares and duties
- Participate actively in meetings when required.
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department:
- Assessment on beneficiaries at risk and diagnosed individuals with communicable and non-communicable diseases or other diseases of public health relevant and treat him.
- Report to line manager periodically regarding context changes that affect the modality of intervention.
- Provide frequent feedback on health-illness patterns observed in the field that require further assessment.
- Education degree: Nigerian health care qualification or Community Health Extension Worker (CHEW) qualified under the Nigerian health care legislation
- Work experience: Minimum of 1 year of experience as nursing assistant/ nursing aid or similar. Work experience with other NGO’s would be an asset
- Language skills: Fluent in English and Hausa, knowledge in Kanuri is an asset
Knowledge and skills:
- Technical knowledge about use of medical equipment
- Good knowledge of Public Health.
- Good knowledge of Medical ethics.
- Interests: Working in humanitarian relief
- Conflict resolution and diplomacy experience
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Team Spirit
- Be available for any emergency
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
Deadline: 12th February 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Open to Nigeria Nationals Only.