The Center for Clinical Care and Clinical Research (CCCRN) is a sub recipient of the PEPFAR ICARES grant in Benue state. CCCRN promotes best practices in health care delivery, medical training and research using locally-adapted models of health systems strengthening.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Specialist
Reports To: Laboratory Lead
Purpose of the Position
- Plans, manages, trains, supervises and audits the activities of SDF laboratory and performs standard biological, microbiological and serological, chemical tests in all areas of medical laboratory to assure their delivery in an accurate and timely fashion using proper safety precautions in support of HIV treatment program.
Duties & Responsibilities
Quality Management System:
- Training of SDF Personnel on the protocols for realizing quality from a clinical laboratory
- Evaluates quality control and quality assurance statistics and modifies manuals as needed
- Design of protocols for each activity for efficient quality management of a clinical laboratory
- Tests new and improved laboratory methods and procedures.
- Prepares laboratory notes, charts and graphs and writes up results of examinations.
- Keeps accurate monthly Laboratory Project Records
- Prepares & distributes testing panels for Quality Laboratory Assessment
- Ensure the institution of quality management system in designated facilities.
- Management of staff Performance at SDF Laboratories
- Coordinates laboratory support for PLO and QIP exercise.
Instrument Evaluation / Maintenance
- Development of standard tools for evaluation & troubleshooting of laboratory Instrument new devices
- Development & revision of Instrument maintenance policy
- Liaising with manufacturer’s service engineers to ensure the feasibility of a product in terms of design and economic viability.
- Conducting research to solve clinical problems using a variety of means to collate the necessary instrument performance information, including questionnaires, interviews and group conferences.
- Diagnoses equipment malfunctions and dismantles and repairs equipment, applying knowledge of shop mechanics and using gauges, meters, hand tools, and power tools
- Liaising closely with other medical professionals, such as doctors and nurses as well as with end-users (patients and their caregivers);
- Discussing and solving problems with manufacturing, quality, purchases
- Assessing the potential wider market for products or modifications suggested by health professionals or others; arranging clinical trials of medical products;
Technical and Non-Technical Responsibilities
- Meeting with senior health service staff or other managers to exchange findings;
- Dealing with technical queries from hospitals and giving advice on new equipment & assay technique
- Testing and maintaining clinical equipment;
- Training technical or clinical staff;
- Investigating safety-related incidents;
- Keeping up to date with new developments in the field, nationally and internationally.
Trainings / Mentoring:
- Serve as resource persons in CCCRN laboratory procedures training
- Trains or supervises training of other lab staff.
- Preparation of training manuals
- On-site hands-on trainings on general Laboratory procedures
- Case-based demonstrations of proper laboratory procedures
- Auditing of the laboratory system
- Setting-up and Continuous monitoring of efficiency.
- Design of product technical specification to purchases
- Supervises purchase of supplies and maintains equipment inventory
- Monitoring of product consumption rate
- Monitoring of the storage condition of commodities at SDF laboratories
- Training of SDF laboratory personnel on proper storage mechanism for each product
- Collation of monthly SDF consumption data.
Site Mentoring and Supervision
- Coordinates activities of the laboratory program to assist other health care providers in provision of quality care
- Enforces safety procedures and consults with Program Managers about other site program related issues
- Consults with state lab staff about local problems and interaction.
- Participates in planning services for other divisions within the facility
- Consults with SDF laboratory coordinator to determine equipment purchase priorities based on budget allowances, condition of existing equipment, and scheduled laboratory activities.
- Prepares and puts in place equipment scheduled for use during laboratory teaching sessions.
- Demonstrates care and use of equipment to SDF Laboratory personnel.
- Trains SDF staff and students-in-training in the application and use of new equipment.
- Develops methods of laboratory experimentation, applying knowledge of scientific theory and computer capability.
- Confers with SDF staff periodically to evaluate new equipment and methods.
- General direction, working from broad goals and policies only; incumbent participates heavily in setting work objectives
- Responsible for indirect supervision of the activities of Medical Laboratory Scientist, Medical Laboratory Technician and/or clinical assistants assigned SDF relating to CCCRN Laboratory project.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Laboratory Science, Microbiology or a comparable area with appropriate Licensure or certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist, public health microbiologist approved by the relevant practice regulation agency.
- Considerable knowledge of the basic principles and laboratory applications of biology, microbiology and chemistry.
- Some ability to apply knowledge of information sources in biology, microbiology, chemistry and scientific methodology.
- Some knowledge of current laboratory facilities, methods, equipment, materials and ability to perform standardized biological, chemical, and microbiological examinations independently.
- Make and record scientific observations accurately, prepare and present scientific records and reports and observe safety precautions and precautions.
- Knowledge of use of computers for laboratories.
- Knowledge of public health laboratory laws and regulations; sanitary bacteriology regulations.
- Ability to carry out and consult with other program area staff and the public on this issue.
- Ability to deal with staff and the public in a positive and successful manner.
Deadline: 11th February, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit the following below to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- CV and Cover Letter as ONE SINGLE WORD document.
- Copies of their credentials
- Candidates that do not comply with the application instruction will be disqualified.
- Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply