African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Principal Civil Engineer, CHGS1
Reference: ADB / 21 / 040
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50065427
- The Vice-Presidency, Corporate Services and Human Resources and Complex (CHVP), ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The Vice President is responsible for driving efforts to digitize and transform the Bank into a knowledge-based pool of employees, promote human resource policies that showcase talent, drive a performance-based culture, making the Bank an employer of choice.
- The complex will also be at the forefront of developing a new institutional culture that rewards creativity and innovation, develops talent, attracts and retains world-class staff at the Bank.
The Department / Division
- Within the CHVP complex, the Corporate Services and Procurement Department (CHGS) designs and implements the Bank’s corporate services and corporate procurement strategies. The key primary roles of CHGS consist to manage the Bank’s assets, oversee all corporate procurement of goods, services, works and real estate, coordinate all staff travel and transport of Bank’s goods and staff, catering services and other logistics arrangements and the mail services and keep staff informed about services offered.
- To this end the General Services and Procurement Department (CHGS) formulates and applies rules for procurement, storage, and maintenance of furniture, office equipment and supply; design, prepare and implement programs for the construction or acquisition and maintenance of buildings and premises; formulate and ensure the proper and effective application of administration policies within the Bank in such areas as communications, transport, travels, security, protection and safety of the Bank’s staff and property; and perform related duties. The department is responsible for managing the Bank’s fixed assets (valued at over UA 100,000,000).
- The General Services and Procurement Department comprises 3 divisions supervised by the Director General Services and Procurement. These divisions are: (i). Operations and Maintenance Division; (ii). Corporate Procurement Division; and (iii). Support Services Division
- The role of the Operations and Maintenance Division (CHGS1) of the Department of General Services (CHGS) is to: provide technical management of the Bank’s real estate technical infrastructure; manage all of the Bank’s fixed assets and properties and provide technical support for the Bank’s decentralization policy. As such, the Operations and Maintenance Division of the General Services Department contributes in a visible way to the support provided by the Corporate Services Complex to the other complexes and entities of the Bank. This Division should play a significant role in the implementation of the Bank’s new development and business delivery model.
The position will initialy be under the supervision of the CHGS.1 Division Manager (Operations and Maintenance Division), but could be moved to the Special Team (under the direct supervsion of the Director) for New Facilities Development Projects. This change in assignment can be implemented during the initial contract term or extensions based on the Department’s priorities.
The incumbent will be responsible for the management and monitoring of facilities works and maintenance services on Bank-owned real estate (land, buildings, structures and miscellaneous civil engineering infrastructure, etc.) and premises occupied by the Bank at its headquarters and in the country offices. In summary he/she will:
- Develop annual Bank wide existing and new facilities requirements and management work program and costs estimates for the clearance by the infrastructures governance committees and inclusion in the annual budget preparation;
- Provide Architectural, Engineering and/or design expertise as needed for new facilities projects or exiting facilities for minor interior configurations designs to ensure alignment with building systems and equipment, finishing standards and compliance safety codes.
- Conduct the execution of new or renovation works and ensure the management of works contracts and maintenance services of the Bank’s infrastructure at Headquarters and in the country offices.
- Operate and maintain all the Bank’s immovable and movable property at Headquarters and the country offices
- Define and implement the Bank’s administrative and investment budgets for infrastructure.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as a subject matter expert on all matters relating to the Bank’s real estate infrastructure (buildings, land, offices, residences, etc.) at headquarters and in the country offices.
- Provide expertise on innovative concepts of new facilities requirements, project development and financing that considers new reality of buildings design as multisensory ecosystems with a digital first mindset, including leveraging on data and technology to advance carbon-neutral solutions (Designing for climate change).
- Participate in the development of the Bank’s investment programs in terms of real-estate infrastructure (buildings, premises and office space, residences, etc.) and the management of the related investment and operating budgets.
- Plan and coordinate construction projects for buildings and civil engineering works, improvement and renovation of the Bank’s real estate assets, in compliance with building infrastructure and engineering systems, building codes, and other laws and regulations.
- Initiate and coordinate studies prior to the execution of works and services necessary to improve buildings and installations.
- Oversee the preparation and drafting of technical dossier to recruit consultants (individuals and consulting firms), construction companies and services in the field of construction and civil engineering;
- Develop standard specifications and terms of reference to procure and maintain workspaces and residences in the Bank’s country offices.
- Participate in the implementation of internal procedures to monitor and inspect new works and maintenance services in order to meet the Bank’s objectives.
- Participate, in liaison with the coordination unit of the country offices, in implementing the installation of the country offices including identifying spaces for rent, adapted to the standards of the Bank.
- Participate in multidisciplinary teams responsible for investment projects and specific refurbishments.
- Design and apply innovative approaches; work in a team, analyze and draw conclusions, maintain good interpersonal relationships, communicate and be detail-oriented and be customer-oriented.
- Keep abreast of developments in construction and civil engineering techniques and standards and make recommendations for submission to the Division Manager.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Architectural or Public Works; additional training in the Bank’s rules and procedures for the procurement of works, goods and services would be a plus.
- Possess at least six (6) years of relevant experience in construction and operating real estate infrastructure in an international setting and five (05) years in engineering consultancy, construction or building maintenance services.
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of innovative concepts of new facilities requirements, project development and financing that considers new reality of buildings design as multisensory ecosystems with a digital first mindset, including leveraging on data and technology to advance carbon-neutral solutions (Designing for climate change).
- Thorough knowledge of building infrastructure and engineering systems, building codes, and other laws and regulations pertaining building operations and maintenance. Knowledge of sustainability principles in facilities management.
- Possess knowledge of civil engineering techniques, characteristics of building construction, road paving and sanitation networks materials.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively plan and efficiently manage multiple and/or complex projects and operational issues under minimum supervision.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills to effectively manage outsourced building facilities staff and other teams to deliver integrated services.
- Propose initiatives promoting high environmental quality and minimizing the operating and maintenance costs of Bank buildings at headquarters and workspaces in the country offices.
- Ability to maintain systematic documentation of contract administration, operations and cost records to facilitate periodic contract audits by auditors.
- Practical experience in managing building systems, with ability to inspect and, if necessary, train relevant staff for proper operation upkeep and general maintenance of installations.
- Ability to prepare work programmes including resources and budget requirement for yearly budget planning. Ability to handle facilities-related budget planning and management, including monitoring cost accounting and identifying unplanned activities or deviations from schedule or budget. Ability to supervise the work program implementation including contracts monitoring required by the Bank; report on budget utilization and programme progress.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Effective interpersonal, communication and listening skills, excellent sense of client orientation, and drive for results. Proven ability to diplomatically communicate with internal clients in the office and the Bank headquarters at all levels as well as local government authorities regarding licenses, permits etc.
- Willingness to be available on a 24/7 basis in case of a major emergency, system breakdown or security issue. Willingness to travel regionally as needed.
- Proficiency in standard Microsoft software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) is essential. Knowledge of AutoCAD (or equivalent) and SAP would be a plus.
Deadline: 25th March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position is classified as International Recruitment and attracts International Terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG(link sends e-mail)
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.