Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
DRC has been operating in the West Africa region for over 15 years, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) Guinea, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria and a Regional Office (RO) in Abidjan. DRC has 17 offices and more than 500 staff members across the WA region.
DRC started operating in Nigeria in 2015 where plans to run a combination of emergency, livelihood, WASH, protection and advocacy programmes has been set. DRC currently has offices in Abuja, Yola, Mubi, Maiduguri and Yobe.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Warehouse Assistant
Location: Ngala, Borno
Contract type: National contract
Overall Purpose of the Role
- The Warehouse Assistant supports DRC Programme by undertaking technical and practical operational tasks to ensure smooth, safe and efficient operation of DRC’s warehouse activities.
- The Warehouse Assistant will support the Logistic/Warehouse Officer to manage Mobile Storage Units (MSU) in field location and further provide support DRC Food Security teams in ensuring timely release of food commodities for distribution to beneficiaries in camps and host communities.
Responsibilities: (in bullet points)
- Support the movement of commodities from warehouse(s) to distribution sites
- Take Monthly inventory of commodities in warehouse
- Ensure the hygiene and cleanliness of warehouse
- Provide oversight for casual workers
- Scan delivered items and ensure quality
- Report damaged or missing commodities to supervisors
- Stack and organize food commodities
- Ensure workspace is free of debris and remove safety hazards from aisles
- Work as an active team member to complete team goals
- Prepare documentation and inventory for audits
Education: (include certificates, licenses et.)
- Diploma or BA./BSc. in relevant field (sociology, social work, psychology, education, counselling, human rights, development studies etc.)
- Alternatively: experience as DRC Protection field worker
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Diploma or degree in warehouse management or supply chain
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills – self-motivated individuals, able to take initiative and propose solutions, resilient, positive, and able to work independently.
- Good understanding of the Northeast Nigeria operational context
- Must have basic level computer skills.
- 1-2 years. Work experience in a related field
- Fluency in English and Hausa
- Ability and willingness to maintain regular presence at project sites (remote / field sites) and to work during irregular working hours and in insecure environments
- Knowledge of the warehouse related activities
- Knowledge of Northeast Nigeria States languages including Kanuri added advantage.
Salary and Conditions
In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment:
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
Deadline: 24th February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability for the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “Recruitment Manager”.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- The position is for Nigerian Nationals Only.
- Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Due to the urgency of the position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the post may be filled before the deadline.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
- DRC Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator.
- For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult: www.drc.dk