African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Auditor General, PAGL
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50092339
- The Office of the Auditor General provides independent, objective Assurance and Consulting services designed to add value and improve the Bank’s operations. The audit department assists the Bank to accomplish its strategic objectives by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes. In this connection, the Office of the Auditor General is responsible for planning, organizing, directing and controlling a broad, comprehensive program of auditing and consulting/advisory services both internally and externally including, without limitation, all projects and programs of the Bank group.
- The Office provides all levels of management and the Board with periodic, independent and objective appraisals and audits of financial, accounting, operational, administrative and other activities, including identifying possible means of improving accountability, efficiency of operations and economy in the use of resources. The Office of the Auditor General also provides advisory and consulting services to the Bank complexes regarding management control and reports, policies and systems development and reviewing new products and services in the design stages.
- In this regard, the Audit Department will be encouraged to expand on, and operationalize proactive measures and practices which include outreach programs and work planning sessions with operating complexes and relevant departments in AfDB. The overriding goal is to shift emphases from post-mortems to positive and pre-emptive approaches which would proactively scan and identify areas of risk and concerns, and attempt to address challenges even before they manifest.
- The Internal Audit function is accountable for establishing and managing the independent, objective assurance, and consulting function which is designed to add value and improve AfDB’s operations. In compliance with internationally acceptable standards, the Auditor General’s scope of activities encompasses the following key themes:
- Accountable for objectively reviewing AfDB’s business processes.
- Evaluate the efficacy of risk management procedures that are currently in place.
- Protect the Bank against fraud and theft of the assets.
- Ensure that AfDB complies with relevant laws, statutes, as well as standards expected of an International Development Organization.
- Make recommendations on how to improve internal controls and governance processes.
- The Auditor General directs and manages programs and activities of the entire Internal Audit Department. Therefore, this position requires extensive exposure and experience in established corporate and international environments. It demands a high level of equanimity and integrity, and the job holder must have been in senior leadership or management positions especially in international settings and/or in the private sector.
- The position also requires energy and an innate desire to resolve complex problems and issues. The incumbent will need to develop working relationships with all levels of the internal community – Vice Presidents, Directors, Managers, and Staff. The successful candidate will also need to be able to analyse and summarize issues succinctly, and in a language which all stakeholders understand and appreciate.
- This position formally and structurally reports to the President of the Bank. The position however has a dotted reporting relationship to the Board. The Auditor General’s reports are submitted directly to the Board. The incumbent is therefore answerable to the Board on these reports and findings.
Duties and Responsibilities
As a matter of general principle, the Internal Audit Department will be expected to conduct audits which include financial accounting/management and compliance issues. Under the overall supervision of the President, this position will be responsible for the following accountabilities:
- Define long, medium term, and annual audit objectives and goals.
- Manage a team of professional level and support staff in providing efficient and high-quality services that support the business. Set realistic performance goals and motivate team members to meet them, both for individual staff and for the team as whole. Manage Department staffing and resources to achieve the Bank’s and Department’s objectives.
- Develop a risk-based Long-Term Coverage plan (LTCP) in order to rationalize the allocation of audit resources by concentrating them on high business risk and significant areas of the Bank.
- Develop a flexible annual audit programme using appropriate risk-based methodology, including any risks or control concerns identified by management, and submit the programme to the President and the audit committee for review and approval.
- Provide independent, objective assurance and consulting services designed to add value and improve the Bank’s operations.
- Determine whether the Bank’s framework of risk management, control, and governance processes, as designed and implemented by management, is adequate and functioning by assessing the adequacy and effectiveness of the Bank’s processes for controlling its activities and managing its risks.
- Oversee financial, operational, administrative and information technology audits, including without limitation, field verification of projects and programs financed by the Bank;
- Review the systems of internal controls maintained by the Bank to safeguard its financial and physical assets, verifying the existence of related assets and making recommendations to correct any weaknesses.
- Review the reliability, accuracy and integrity of significant financial and automated management information systems, ensuring that such systems employ essential controls which minimize the risk of unauthorized activity.
- Oversee the implementation of the annual audit plan, as approved, including, and as appropriate, any special tasks or assignments requested by the President and/or the Board; and, reporting periodically on the status and results of the annual audit plan as well as on the adequacy of the office resources.
- Oversee the performance of consulting, advisory and audit services, beyond internal auditing assurance services, to assist management in meeting its objectives; and, maintaining a quality assurance program by which the Auditor General assures that the internal auditing processes and procedures are in accordance with the standards. Build strong relationship management and understand the business needs to assist in developing practical and effective solutions.
- Oversee the evaluation and assessment of significant new or changing services, processes, operations, and controls relating to their development and implementation.
- Ensure that all final opinions and conclusions emanating from the department are of high and professional standards.
- Design and deliver outreach and training for identified focus groups of internal stakeholders on relevant topics and identified areas of emphases for the department.
- Reporting and recommendations – developing findings and audit recommendations that are soundly based, balanced and provide practical opportunities for improvement, delivering draft performance audit reports and promoting continuous improvement and innovation in performance audit practice and methodology.
- Liaise with the external auditors as appropriate, for the purpose of providing optimal audit coverage to the Bank.
- Maintain an on-going system of monitoring the adequacy of the actions taken by management to implement internal and external audit recommendations and reporting on the status of implementation to the President and the Board.
- Develop the Annual Budget containing the requirements of the Department.
- Stakeholder liaison and advice – liaising, negotiating and building effective relationships with external stakeholders, providing advice to internal and external senior employee, attending governing bodies report tabling and communicating audit findings to internal and external stakeholders.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in Business, Accounting, or a related field (concentration in internal auditing or graduate-level certificate in internal auditing will constitute an added advantage).
- He or she must have a minimum of 10 years’ relevant corporate experience in managing teams and business units relating to audit and process. In addition, s/he should have applied experience in advising the Board and senior management on internal audit challenges and issues.
- We expect the successful candidate to have achieved clearly defined and demonstrable results in the course of his or her career. S/he will also be expected to have demonstrated individual competence in leading and delivering on transformational initiatives in the field under consideration.
- The right candidate will have demonstrable skills and competence in relating to and communicating with small and large groups. Competence in written as well as in platform communication are essential. Exposure to, and knowledge of cutting-edge trends and practices in corporate and international auditing are also important requirements.
- The ideal candidate must have the ability to inspire a sense of purpose and direction, focus strategically, harness information and opportunities and show judgement, intelligence and common sense.
- The candidate will be a dynamic and effective communicator, result-driven, and customer oriented. Analytical skills, and ability to work cross-functionally, and under pressure are essential prerequisites.
- Serve as a role model, leading by example, builds alignment and commitment to challenge staff. Maintain a high standard of professional integrity, treat individuals fairly and respectively and be sensitive to differences across culture, nationalities and gender.
- Member of a professional association or community of practice recognized at national, regional or international level.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Deadline: 27th March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information / Notice
- This position is classified as international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR DIRECT HRDirect@AFDB.ORG(link sends e-mail)
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.