The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Education Coordinator
Job Identification: 1061
Location: Jos, Plateau
Job Schedule: Full time
Job Category: Education
Level: Grade Level 7 Step 1 (Nigerian National)
Reports to: Project Manager with technical management by the Education Specialist
Travel: 70% travel to other implementing LGA’s
Duration and type of contract: 12 months
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015 in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Yola Area Office, Field Offices in Borno and Adamawa states and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Livelihoods & Food Security (LFS); Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Education and Camp Management Camp Coordination (CCCM) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- NRC’s Education Core Competency is currently implementing projects focused on support to non formal education and formal literacy, numeracy and vocational education classes for children and youth. These activities include teacher training, construction of temporary learning spaces, community mobilization and training for school-based management councils. NRC will be implementing a grant focused on vocational training, livelihoods and peacebuilding in Plateau State.
- NRC is looking for an Education Coordinator for our Plateau State project in Nigeria. The purpose of the Education Coordinator position is to implement NRCs’ education project portfolio according to Plan of Action and strategy.
- The Education Coordinator reports to the Project Manager with technical management by the Education Specialist.
- These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work- and Professional Development Plan.
- Line management of CC project field staff
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to CC strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of education projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from PM in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Provide regular progress reports to Project Manager
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Degree Level: Candidates should possess a University / Advanced qualification.
- Directly line managing one Education Officer and indirectly line managing two Education Assistants and providing them with technical and administrative support in their duties.
- Identifying capacity gaps and providing informal capacity development for staff.
- Preparing monitoring documents, workplans, activity reports, spending plans and procurement plans for project activities.
- Ensuring that quality activities are implemented on time and in compliance with organizational and donor requirements.
- Conducting regular field visits to project locations to ensure timeliness and quality of implementation in the field and provide regular updates on project status.
- Applying protection and prevention mechanisms in all project activities and interactions to ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff and beneficiaries
- Managing and monitoring project budgets and ensuring spending is compliant with the project budget.
- Representing NRC in meetings and coordination with education actors in the area, communities and LGA education and government representatives.
Application Closing Date
1:00 AM: 18th March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks.