Justice, Development and Peace Commission (JDPC) is a non-governmental organization which has been engaged in developmental works in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States for the past 50 years. JDPC also focuses on Agriculture, WaSH, Nutrition, MHPSS and other emergency programming, reaching out to all persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Assistant
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employment Type: Contract
- The Security Assistant will be responsible for the assessments, security related guidance and enforce implementation of JDPC’s security policies, guidelines and procedures with the support of the Security Manager.
- This will involve but is not limited to promoting a culture of security; security incident reporting; monitoring and analysing the security situation in the project locations, supporting the development and implementation of Security related Standard Operating Procedures (SoPs).
- This post will be based in Damaturu (Yobe State).
- Assist in ensuring that appropriate safety and security systems are in place to provide timely and accurate security information to all staff members and visitors.
- Assist in leading incident management, lessons learned and any follow up actions / changes to procedures.
- Be always readily available to advise on security developments.
- Conduct regular site visits to field sites to assess safety / security arrangements and report to superiors.
- Assist in monitoring and implementation of safety and security protocols and promptly advise JDPC of any non-compliance and /or concerns / issues.
- Report, analyse and communicate current security situation.
- Ensure compliance with the incident reporting system and ensure that the incident register is updated regularly.
- Assist in conducting ongoing threat assessments and compile daily/weekly situation reports/monthly security analysis and ensure that the information is shared in a timely manner.
- Build and maintain regular contact with other agency security focal points and local authorities related to security issues and concerns especially in program implementation areas in order to gather reliable security information, facilitate the sharing of best practices and the adoption of an integrated approach where possible.
- Regular attendance of security related meetings and share security related information
- Bachelor’s degree in Law, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science or any related discipline.
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant experience at the national or international NGOs in safety and security functions
- Experience in liaising with communities, civilians, police and / or military government authorities as well as with regional institutions preferred.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff in a very sensitive environment.
- Good context analysis skills.
- Competent and literate in local North East languages (Hausa and/or Kanuri), verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions.
- Willingness to travel at short notice, and often in difficult circumstances.
- Highly organized and systematic with excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills.
- Experience providing safety and security orientation for all new staff, short term technical assistance, expats staff / visitor / guests and facilitate training for existing staff.
- Experience complying with systems put in place to enhance security skills and awareness in areas of accident prevention, safety, health and occupational hazards.
- Experience conducting routine crisis management exercises for all staff and management.
- Experience conducting regular mock drills in all offices (e.g. fire drill, evacuation, etc.)
- Experience promoting and encouraging a safe and environmentally sound culture.
Job Title: Food Security and Cash Worker
Location: Maiduguri / Magumeri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
- The Food Security and Cash Program Officer will lead planning, implementation and monitoring of all Food Security activities and humanitarian response, including beneficiary targeting, selection and registration, community mobilization, trainings, monitoring and evaluation of project activities, coordination, and reporting. In addition to this, s/he will, on behalf of Caritas Nigeria/JDPC, attend sector meetings as necessary and present reports. The position will be based in Maiduguri (Borno State).
- The officer is expected to represent the organization and the consortium in a responsible manner and always act in accordance with set Code of Conduct.
Job Purpose Summary
The FS & Cash Officer will, under the guidance and supervision of the FS Manager, support the implementation of project activities and other delegated responsibilities through three core functions:
- Design, develop and implement innovative program activities and initiatives that uplift the vulnerable persons through cash programming as delineated in the program documents
- With expressed option for the poor and vulnerable, ensure the identification, selection, sensitization, monthly distribution of cash and accompaniment of project beneficiaries throughout the duration of the project
- Contribute to and form part of the FSL and CWG emergency response mechanisms, providing timely reports and data trends reflective of the socio-cultural context in the field
- Assist in facilitating any relevant trainings for the Community Mobilizers, beneficiaries and community committees
- Assist in identifying, collection and collation of relevant beneficiaries’ groups based on best practices in food security interventions (Sphere Standard and Core Humanitarian Standards)
- Oversee the distribution of eWallet to beneficiaries
- Join in the commodities’ market prices monitoring
- Provide support to the identification, engagement and training of market vendors while providing linkages between the vendors and the beneficiaries, as well as improving local economy
- Ensure proper engagement of relevant cash vendors for cash transfers
- Assist in the resolution of potential cash access issues and escalating to relevant channels when necessary for quick and timely resolution
- Assist project partners implement activities as indicated in monthly and quarterly work plan
- Support project partners to develop detailed monthly and quarterly technical work plan.
- Assist in carrying out post-distribution monitoring activities as required.
- Support in preparation of all periodic reports.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Programme and Grant Coordinator
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- A minimum of Bachelors’ degree in Economics, Agriculture, Public Health, Food and Nutrition, International Development studies, or any related field.
- At least 3 years’ program management experience; previous experience managing emergency/recovery projects.
- Demonstrated strong ability with project grants management, including project design, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, etc.
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point)
- Experience with capacity strengthening and partnership building, especially with local partners
- Knowledge of Sphere emergency guidelines, including MEAL guidelines and best practices
- Ability and willingness to work and live in a challenging and potentially unstable environment
- Commitment to and proven track record in managing accountable, transparent, and inclusive programming in complex contexts
- Ability to work independently, but also coordinate effectively as part of a team
- Ability to lead a multi-cultural team with a high level of respect for local culture
- Experience managing international grants (EU, UN system, or others) – Professional proficiency in English, Hausa and/or Kanuri.
Job Title: Wash Specialist
Location: Maiduguri / Magumeri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
- The WaSH Specialist will work closely with the Project Coordinator and the Hygiene promotion officer to deliver needed capacity building and technical assistance for beneficiaries on the project.
- S/he will lead planning, implementation and monitoring of all WaSH activities that layer humanitarian response with longer-term development.
- This includes project support in beneficiary selection and registration, community mobilization, monitoring and evaluation of project activities, coordination, and reporting.
- Lead the planning of WASH project activities and set quality performance targets ensuring adherence to technical standards, best practices and donor guidelines
- Spearhead the selection of WASH project beneficiaries based on approved criteria and strategies, ensuring beneficiaries are consulted and their views taken into account at all stages of the program
- Oversee the work of project teams during the preparatory works, assessments, technical requirements, selection of external entities in support of the grants/projects and ensuring compliance with donor requirements and with statutory and technical legislation issued by appropriate government authorities
- Support fields teams in carrying out selection, design, and construction/rehabilitation of water and sanitation systems including: water treatment, excreta disposal, solid waste management, decommissioning and construction of new Water and Sanitation facilities
- In collaboration with the Project Coordinator and procurement officer, prepare contracts and documentation for works and oversee execution of those contracts
- Carry out field-level technical assessments and data analysis
- Supervise field-level WASH infrastructure works related to the project (e.g. supervision of contractors and suppliers)
- Inspect all WASH Infrastructure and provide certification reports
- Together with the Hygiene Promotion Officer, integrate public health concepts into water, sanitation and hygiene activities
- Ensure WASH activities are integrated with other sector teams, such as FSL, Protection and Accountability as appropriate
- Ensure that the project engages locals and develops local capacity for longer term sustainability
- Contribute to preparing plans, proposals, and budgets for project extensions and new projects
- Ensure protection issues are fully considered throughout the project cycle with women, elderly, disabled and most vulnerable being included in decision making for all WASH issues
- Use appropriate project management tools to plan, review and track progress on projects implementation as well as on the utilization of project resources.
- Ensure the development and implement strong M&E systems using appropriate tools and resources to maximize project impact on beneficiaries
- Monitor project development and identify deviation from approved project plans and implement corrective measures when necessary to ensure that the partners meet the project objectives
- Oversee management and maintenance of up to date documentation related to all projects approvals, monitoring and implementation in both hard and soft copies
- Undertake/participate in WASH and needs assessments of host communities in line with international standards/best practice
- Ensure a constructive co-operation with other JDPC programs, local authorities, consortium members, other international and local NGOs as well as the UN Agencies
- Representing JDPC at sectoral coordination forums and inter-agency engagements
- Leading on monitoring and analysis of policy issues affecting WASH sector and advising the management and policy & advocacy team on key message formation
- Any other relevant tasks as assigned by the Project Coordinator or the Programme and Grant Coordinator
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- Technical background in Public Health. First degree or postgraduate diploma in Public Health Engineering (Water & Sanitation), or similar relevant discipline
- At least 5 years of technical experience implementing WASH related interventions, especially in IDP/ displacement contexts.
- Advanced understanding and experience on programme monitoring and evaluation issues. Ability to design M & E tools relevant to the WASH sector and roll it out to the technical and M & E teams
- Experience in leading multisectoral assessment teams and providing technical guidance on WaSH issues
- Experience in capacity building and training of staff
- Experience in project, logistics and admin. management
- High level of communication, interpersonal, representation and negotiation skills
- Good understanding and programmatic experience on various cross cutting issues such as gender, protection and environment
- Ability to write high quality concept notes and technical sections for donor proposals.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analysis skills (qualitative and quantitative)
- Excellent one to one and group communication /information presentation skills
- Experience working with statistical computer software packages.
- Project design and management skills
- Goal oriented with ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast paced and complex environment.
- Flexible and proactive attitude towards problem-solving
- Experience in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene assessment methodologies
- Ability to develop BoQs and WaSH Projects
- Ability to design and interpret designs for WaSH projects.
- Familiarity with different hygiene and sanitation approached applicable in Emergency.
- Experience in using participatory approaches in project design and implementation.
- Knowledge of working with and through other partners in emergency situation.
Deadline: 22nd March, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should mail/send their CV and Cover Letters to: email@example.com with the position applied for and Location as the Subject of the Mail.
- Females are encouraged to apply
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted afterwards