The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Environmental Health Coordinator
Requisition ID: req13995
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
- The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In response to humanitarian needs resulting from the ongoing conflict in the country’s northeastern states, the IRC currently operates in eight sectors (health, nutrition, WASH, protection / rule of law, child protection, women’s protection and empowerment, education, and economic recovery and development) based out of six field offices in Northeast Nigeria.
Scope of Work:
- The Environmental Health (EH) Coordinator is the focal point for environmental health programs in Nigeria and ensures the implementation of quality WASH programing in Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa states.
- The EH Coordinator will be responsible for maintaining regular contact with all partners, including the Ministry of Water, Ministry of Health, UN agencies and other NGOs, and will also be responsible for fulfilling IRC’s strategic objectives for the EH sector.
- The EH Coordinator is also responsible for program design, and technical support to ensure quality implementation, standardization, monitoring and evaluation of all activities in the WASH sector.
- The EH Coordinator will strengthen sector activities and provide technical oversight of the program across all sites of implementation in northeast Nigeria.
- S / he will also focus on emergency response capability, with the ability to respond to a fluid programming context, and deliver key services rapidly and effectively.
- The EH Coordinator supervises all EH staff, and reports to the Senior Program Coordinator. The EH Coordinator will receive technical support from the Technical Advisor for EH Programs.
- The position is based in the IRC Maiduguri field office in Borno state with regular travel to supervise IRC’s EH programs throughout the northeast.
Program Management & Development:
- Oversee the technical aspects of the implementation and coordination of the EH program; providing support to the program managers and field teams to develop work plans to guide implementation of approved grants.
- Work closely with Supply Chain department to develop and monitor procurement and distribution plans on a monthly basis.
- Coordinate and participate in the development of new proposals and initiatives for the IRC EH program in accordance with the country program’s strategy action plan.
- Coordinate and participate in the development of budgets for program proposals in conjunction with the Grants and Finance departments.
- Support the program managers and field teams in the technical design, implementation and monitoring of work plans, ensuring that activities reflect the commitments made to the donor and the communities we serve.
- Work closely with M&E team to develop and improve M&E and feedback mechanisms for the EH program, ensuring that the EH teams in the field actively monitor set indicators and effectively address concerns of the target communities.
- Work with the Senior Program Coordinator and the EH team to strengthen the WASH sector in Nigeria, defining the strategic direction of EH programming and developing a sector strategy that fits into the IRC2020 strategy.
- Support emergency needs assessments in response to the developing humanitarian situation.
- Together with field teams, develop programs and proposals for rapid and timely support of populations affected by conflict.
- Work with the SPC and Human Resources to ensure the Performance Management System documentation for the program teams is in place and followed up regularly.
- Provide ongoing training, technical support, and guidance to the program manager and ensure all EH staff adhere to best practices in all aspects of program implementation.
Grants Management & Reporting:
- Review progress in achieving program objectives and targets in collaboration with the program managers.
- Participate in grant opening, mid-term review, and grant closing meetings.
- Draft technical aspects of internal and external reports within agreed deadlines using IRC and donor formats, as required.
- In collaboration with the program managers, review Budget vs. Actual expenditures for EH programs on a monthly basis. Bring any over/under expenditure issues to the attention of the Senior Management Team in a timely manner and jointly develop corrective plans in collaboration with the SPC and the Grants team.
Representation & Coordination:
- In coordination with the SPC, actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders, including donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors.
- Establish networks with UN, INGOs, and local partners to promote technical capacity and develop strategic partnerships, including active participation in cluster meetings.
- Represent the EH program with national authorities, UN agencies, NGOs, donors, and other stakeholders.
- M.Sc. or equivalent in Civil, Environmental Engineering or Public Health (MPH) degrees, with Water and Sanitation specialization preferred
- In lieu of master’s degree, an additional 2 years of relevant experience maybe considered
- Experience working in humanitarian and insecure environments. Minimum of five years overseas professional experience in program design and implementation in the field of environmental health
- Understanding of protection principles as well as conflict sensitivity
- Experience in working with and coordinating with donors, UN agencies, INGOs, and other stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural, and communication skills
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Experience in emergency response
- Demonstrated experience in project design and development, including needs assessment and proposal development
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building
- Demonstrated experience in project management, including budget management
- Additional qualities: ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, flexibility, adaptability to transitions
- Borno is security phase 4 (RED) so the EH Coordinator will be expected to respect the various security protocols in place in country. Phase 4 requires clear contingency planning in place, and staff need to be prepared should hibernation or evacuation be called for.
Standards for Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online