Silverwood School is an upscale Nursery and primary school in Maryland, Lagos State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Secretary
Location: Maryland, Lagos
Employment Type: Full-time
We require a Sectary for a primary school in Maryland. The following are the duties of the secretary:
- The school secretary serves as the face of the school,
- They understand the school brand and should be able to sell the brand
- Greeting students and parents and providing them with information.
- Secretaries schedule appointments and meetings
- Answer phones and give administrative support to teachers and school officials.
- Provides supervisory roles for ancillary staff
- They help maintain records on students.
- They are usually the first line of communication when parents call or visit a school.
- School secretary’s order and inventory supplies, enter lunch information into the billing system and verify information in notes from doctors and parents.
- The secretary may attend meetings and record the proceedings, takes minutes with the support of the English department
- Depending on the position, they may have bookkeeping and payroll duties.
- Welcomes visitors to the school and provides directions around the building as needed.
- Maintains student records and files.
- Uses computer database or filing system to update records as necessary.
- Manages and updates school calendar.
- Provides administrative support to upper level management as needed.
- Types up and contributes to school bulletin or newsletter.
- Assists in designing and drawing up promotional and informational materials for parents.
- Provides students with tardy slips.
- Maintains records of student absences and provides daily report on attendance
- Sorts and distributes mail delivered to school office and files them away if needed.
- Contacts parents in the event of student illness or behavioral issues.
- Takes dictation and transcribes documents.
- Attends office meetings and takes minutes.
- Meet with new students and parents to complete registration and orientation process
- Coordinate and monitor safety procedures for the purpose of ensuring safety of students and staff Schedules and Calendars:
- Schedule and confirm appointments for staff members
- Maintain appointment and event calendars
- Coordinate meetings and events.
Main Job Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities
Filing Systems and Database Management:
- Set up and maintain filing systems for students and staff – paper and electronic create, maintain and enter information into databases Locate and attach appropriate files to incoming correspondence requiring a response Locate and provide data as requested Student and Staff Attendance
- Track student and staff attendance Verify parents’ and doctors’ notes and investigate any discrepancies in attendance information. Notify parents of student absences Process and track staff leave requests
- Coordinate substitute personnel for absent staff members Keep accurate staff and student attendance records and submit reports as required.
- Prepare and distribute appropriate communications including newsletters, emails and announcements. Prepare a variety of documents including correspondence, agendas, event programs, reports, schedules and calendars Compose, type and distribute minutes of meetings
Front Desk Duties:
- Serve as a central information point to the public, students and staff regarding school-related matters and procedures
- Answer incoming calls, provide information, direct calls where necessary and take messages
- Greet visitors, handle inquiries and direct visitors to the appropriate destination
- Read, sort and distribute incoming school mail.
Equipment and Inventory:
- Operate office equipment including fax machines, copiers, scanners, printers
- Maintain office equipment in good working condition
- Track inventory and order supplies.
Requirements, Education and Experience
- A minimum of a High School Diploma is typically required to be a school secretary.
- Previous work experience in an office setting is required.
- Experience: 3 – 5 years Relevant training or qualification Working knowledge of relevant software applications.
- Dresses well, with good carriage and confidence.
- Formal requirements are less important than skills and personality, although preference may be given to candidates who have at least some college.
- A school secretary needs computer skills, excellent communications and interpersonal skills as well as an understanding of secretarial duties.
- Proficient in spelling, punctuation, grammar and other English language skills Proven experience of producing communications and documents Knowledge of school policies and procedures Competencies and Skills:
- Organizational and planning skills including the ability to maintain an effective balance between multiple and competing priorities Problem-solving skills Able to exercise sound judgment in making decisions
- Male between ages 25 to 35. OR a female between ages 35 and 45 (She must be a married woman).
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills.
- Maintains professional and friendly demeanor.
- Possesses excellent organizational skills.
- Is capable of managing time efficiently.
- Demonstrate ability to multi-task effectively.
- Exhibits ability to remain polite and calm when dealing with troublesome students or frustrated parents.
- Possesses basic computer skills and knowledge of word processing programs.Word, ecxcel and graphic apps.
Working hours: 7am to 6pm. Work Environment. The majority of working hours will be spent in the school premises. Light physical activity such as walking and standing, is required on a daily basis.
N45,000 – N50,000 / month.
Deadline: 14th March, 2021.