United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Human Resources Assistant
Job ID: 25169
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Salary Grade: G5
Hardship Level: C
Family Location Type: Family
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- Senior Human Resources Assistant will function under direct supervision of the Administrative or Human Resources Officer, assisting him/her in personnel administration and other HR related matters, including the process of recruitment and appointment of staff, and in the performance management and welfare issues of staff under area of responsibility (AOR).
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Assist in the recruitment, assignment, reassignment and separation of local service staff. Prepare documents for the interview panel for the recruitment of local staff.
- Process local staff members¿ contracts, entitlements and benefits in accordance with Staff Rules and established HR procedures.
- Update personnel related information in MSRP/HR module where this activity has been rolled out from PAS to the respective office.
- Advise staff members on their rights, obligations, benefits and entitlements, and assist them in interpreting UN/UNHCR staff rules and regulations.
- Assist newly-arrived international staff with administrative formalities related to their accreditations, security/ground passes, submission of completed forms and related documents to headquarters, arrange travel and hotel reservations
- Maintain personnel records in the office, including maintenance of the attendance, overtime and leave records.
- Initiate calculations for payments related to personnel issues such as settlement of travel claims, overtime claims, hazard pay, MIP reimbursements, medical and security evacuations, shipment costs.
- Initiate routine correspondence on HR matters for the authorizing officer¿s approval.
- Assist with shipment of their personal effects in coordination with the logistics section.
- Administer UNHCR medical insurance plan for locally recruited staff. Provide administrative support to staff and dependants in case of medical evacuations, as well as security evacuations/relocations. Maintain daily tracking record of staff and families to provide accurate information in case of emergency.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience:
- For G5 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field (s) of Education:
- Not applicable
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- Secretarial Administrative
- (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Good knowledge of UNHCR administrative procedures and processes and exposure to provision of support services in an international organization.
- Field experience with UNHCR and / or with other humanitarian organizations is an asset.
- High IT affinity and working experience of PeopleSoft / MSRP.
- IT-Computer Literacy
- IT-Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
- EX-Field experience with UNHCR and/or with other humanitarian organizations
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- PG-Resource Planning; eg. FOCUS, Global Focus Insight
- FI-PeopleSoft Financial Management
- HR-PeopleSoft Human Capital Management
- UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Not specified.
- Planning and Organizing
- Technological Awareness
- Please note that English is essential for this Job Opening.
- Knowledge of local language is highly recommended.
Deadline: 8th March, 2021 at 11:59 pm.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.
Procedures and Eligibility:
- Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
Important Information / Notice
- A written test may be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
- Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
- This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.