The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chauffeur – All Interested Candidates
Announcement Number: Lagos-2021-022
Series / Grade: LE – 1015 4
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Work Schedule: Full-time – 48 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-4
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency: For USEFM – FP is AA. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C. / All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Temporary
- Appointment Type Details: Definite not to Exceed (5 years) subject to successful completion of probationary period.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (48 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- 75% or less
- Drives Mission Nigeria officials and visitors both in Lagos or out-of-town stays
- The incumbent operates safety and efficiently an unarmored U.S. Government-owned or leased motor vehicle to transport passengers and / or cargo.
- S / he works as a messenger and administrative clerk as directed . Maintains vehicle in a clean and serviceable condition, to include cleaning the interior and exterior of the vehicle.
- Performs basic vehicle inspection in accordance with established schedules and policies.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Experience: Minimum of three (3) years of experience in driving is required.
- Job Knowledge: Good working knowledge of the city and it environments, including driving routes and traffic patterns. Must be familiar with the location of hospitals, police and fire stations within the city and its immediate surroundings.
- Completion of Secondary School or high school diploma
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Limited knowledge Speaking / Reading / Writing in English is required.
Skills and Abilities Optional:
- Must have the ability to read maps and plan driving routes.
- Must have computer skills to draft and maintain reports, organize files, and for communication purposes.
- Must have valid Nigeria driver’s license.
- Must have good verbal communication skills, and an ability to handle all persons with professionalism and discretion.
- Must be able to perform basic vehicle inspection and must possess intermediate level automotive maintenance skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
NGN 3,889,576 (USD $26,915)
Deadline: 11th March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested Diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Residency and / or Work Permit
- Secondary School Certificate
- Driver’s License
- For EFMs, in addition to the above;
- Copy of Orders / Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria.