The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country Pharmacist – M / F
Mission et Objectives
Coordinate, deploys and supervise all pharmacy related activities in the Mission, according to ALIMA standards and values, the Medical Coordinator instructions, national and international laws and regulations, in order to ensure the quality and proper organization of medical procurement processes, procedures and protocols, the proper management of project medical stocks and, in collaboration with the Medical Coordinator, the proper use of medicines and medical equipment. He is the right-hand man of the medical coordinator concerning the pharmacy.
In Nigeria, ALIMA is running four health and nutrition projects in Borno State ( Maiduguri) , Yobe state ( Queshua), Research and Lassa fever response in Ondo State, OWO. ALIMA’s teams in Nigeria represent about 25 expatriates and 150 national staff.
Tasks & Responsabilities
To the country’s medical authorities:
- Support MedCo in representing and defending ALIMA’s interests before the Ministry of Health and other local authorities or local suppliers for any issue concerning pharmaceutical supply, in order to ensure stock procurement in the mission & projects while accomplishing national laws and regulations and following ALIMA protocols.
- Ensure a close follow up of the National Process for drugs importation (NAFDAC list) and Support the Medical Coordinator in order to validate a national pharmacy at Abuja or Lagos to ensure good quality of local medical purchases for those items under NAFDAC control and prohibited for importation.
- Monitor closely the national drug supply, especially for projects in which ALIMA works closely with the Ministry of Health.
- Support and participate in all drug and medical material supply processes and facilitate correct stock management and transport/storage procedures, in order to ensure the availability of stock in all projects avoiding expiries/overstocks and stock-outs and ensuring its overall efficiency and rationalization.
Data collection and analysis:
- Collecting and analyzing stock indicators according to physical records and logistic software (stock levels, pre-stock-outs, over-stocking, donations, expired products, not moving stock disposal) across different projects and together with the medical coordinator take corrective decisions when necessary according to ALIMA procedures and national legislation (specifically in case of expired drugs). Responsible for follow-up of loans/donations
- Collects, verifies and analysis monthly consumption statistics and data and other data and indicators for reporting (monthly, quarterly).
Management of drugs and medical equipment:
- Provides technical support to the pharmacy on all issues related to pharmaceutical information, drug use (protocols and rational use), side effect management, compliance issues, etc.
- Carries out regular technical visits to project sites to ensure the proper organization of activities and the management of the pharmacies of the various projects.
- Coordinate the running of the pharmacies across the mission, ensuring the proper implementation of and proper use according to ALIMA protocols of pharmacy management and monitoring tools (daily monitoring sheets, order forms,), procedures and dispensing practices to be followed by all staff, in order to ensure the quality of the service given to the population
- Ensures that all inventories of drugs and medical devices exist and are updated, and participates in reporting according to ALIMA guidelines (Sitrep, medical statistical reports, etc.)
- Ensure the appropriate storage and management of stocks of narcotic and psychotropic drugs, in accordance with national legislation, and allow the traceability of these products in particular.
- Reports on the use of drugs and medical devices distributed according to protocols, reporting anomalies.
Medical supplies and orders:
- Follow the QUAMED process for the validation of National Pharmacies.
- Assists the Medical Coordinator to ensure that local medical purchases are made from approved sources.
- Support the Medical Coordinator regarding the follow-up of EPREP planning, composition and maintenance of medical emergency kits
- Collaborating in budgeting and preparing drug and other medical material orders together with Medical and Logistic Coordinators.
- Function as technical Pharmacy support regarding all questions related to pharmaceutical information (NAFDAC list for importation), medication use (protocols and rational drug use), management of side effects, adherence issues etc.
- Follows the procurement procedure and takes any necessary corrective measures, maintains regular communication with medical, logistical, HR and financial departments regarding the management of medical supplies and pharmacy.
Human Resources Management:
- Plan and supervise, in close coordination with the Pharmacy Manager, HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required. In case of integration of medical stock under the supply, this includes providing support to Supply Log in this capacity to ensure the medical stock and pharmacy management according to recommended guide lines/procedures
- Ensure that the work of pharmacy teams in the various projects is well organized according to program requirements.
- Carry out at least once a year the evaluation of his direct collaborator (mission pharmacy supervisor).
- Leads and organizes regular meetings of his team.
Implements Prevention Measures Against Abuse of Power, Gender-Based and Sexual Violence:
- Ensures that community members are aware of the policy and have access to information (complaint escalation mechanism, focal point…).
- Participates as needed in the organization of training and awareness sessions
- Applies the standards related to the prevention of abuse of power, gender-based and sexual violence.
- Contributes to creating and maintaining a fulfilling and protective environment for his/her team, community members and partners involved in the project.
Protection of Beneficiaries and Community Members:
- Level 3: The incumbent is responsible for the application of Research processes and may be required to conduct field visits. She/he. He/she may therefore be in contact with children and/or vulnerable adults. Therefore, a criminal record check or the presentation of a certificate of good conduct will be required. In situations where the impossibility of providing a criminal record or a certificate of good conduct is established, a declaration on honour will be requested.
Experience and Skills
- PhD Degree in Pharmacy
- Registered Pharmacist + Driving license
- Essential two years experience in pharmacy management in hospital
- Previous experience with ALIMA or other NGO’s in developing countries is desirable
- Advanced knowledge in Pharmacy Management and “Isystock”
- Essential computer literacy (Excel, Word, Outlook and Internet)
- Can work and create teamwork, flexible, and committed to the assigned position
- Interest in and commitment to ALIMA’s activities, enthusiasm to represent the organization to others, to travel to different regions of Nigeria
- Languages: English compulsory, others are an asset.
- Well organized with good negotiation and communication skill
- Ability to work as part of a team, a part of multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team, in emergency and under pressure, to manage stress easily and result oriented
- Contract term: contract under French law, 6 months.
- Desired start date: As soon as possible
Salary (Depending on experience)
- Minimum net salary: 1905 Euros per month,
ALIMA pays for:
- Travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
- Accommodation costs
- Medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee
- Evacuation of the employee
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Important Important and Notice
- Documents to be sent: Please submit your application online (CV & Cover Letter in PDF) using the link above
- Female applications are strongly encouraged. We process applications as they are received. If an application matches our search, the offer can therefore be closed early
Application Deadline 17th May, 2021.