The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Assistant
SVN No.: SVN2021.33
Slot: 2 Openings
IOM Classification: G5
Organizational Unit: Resource Management
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST) 6 Months with possibility of extension
- Overall supervision of Head Sub office and under the general guidance of Senior Resource Management Officer (SRMO) and direct supervision of Resource Management Officer (RMO) the incumbent will be responsible for implementing finance activities in Lagos sub office particular, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Verify invoices and documents submitted by suppliers and service providers. Post and review accounting transactions in SAP accounting system (both accounts payable and receivable, treasury), as requested by RMO and process payments through electronic banking systems
- Ensure all supporting documentation and signatures are obtained before finalizing vouchers.
- Review and ensure all supporting documentation and signatures are obtained before finalizing vouchers; verify invoices and ascertain that the equipment, supplies or services they refer to were duly received or provided before proceeding with payment request.
- Ensure all payments are paid on a timely manner.
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly accounting reports and the attachment of supporting documents for the review and certification by RMO.
- Reconcile on a monthly basis all pending vendor accounts.
- Ensure that the bank reconciliation of the various bank accounts and IOM accounts and databases is done in time and accurately.
- Ensure files of all financial instructions/guidelines issued are maintained and appropriate internal controls are in place.
- Maintain a E-Filing system for vouchers and all other financial documentation
- Analyze the expenditure and alert RMO of the possible over/under spending on the projects.
- Assist RMO in period end process and prepare accounting returns for submission to MAS, ensure proper filing of SAP financial documents with proper supporting documents.
- Maintain a filing system and ensure proper custody of financial documents, vouchers, bank correspondence, etc. Ensure that prior to filing the paid documents are stamped “PAID”.
- Retrieve filed and archived documents when needed for audit or other queries within the set time frames and assist in preparation of responses to queries.
- Assist with the maintenance of an effective banking system including preparing a monthly bank reconciliation.
- Assist the RMO and Project Managers to produce both interim and final financial reports for the active projects and assist in carrying out financial analysis
- Assist in reviewing internal control systems and notify SRMO, and RMO of any potential weaknesses and suggest improvements and bring to the attention of RMO any financial and budgetary issue.
- Monitor and verify billing of staff for private use of IOM assets such as private vehicle usage, personal calls and ensure recording in PRISM.In coordination with the RMO, assist on the service fee-based projects to ensure prompt recording of service fees earned based on statistics provided by relevant units.
- Review on a regular basis Debtors/Creditors accounts, initiate follow up messages for outstanding cases and provide timely feedback to the RMO.
- Review travel expense claims and imprest accounts and verify authenticity of the supporting documents provided.
- In consultation with RMO, assist in preparation of response to the queries outside the mission (internal and external) within reasonable timeframe.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited educational institution in Accounting, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 3 years of relevant experience or High School Diploma in the above fields with five years of relevant working experience.
- Effectively applies specialized knowledge of finance.
- Effectively works with vendors and service providers in compliance with IOM procedures to secure cost-effective quality solutions for IOM.
- Interfaces across units and departments within IOM to extract relevant information.
- Communicates clearly and consistently.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge the local language.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This is a national position and only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
Application Closing Date
Deadline: 29th April 2021.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2021.33 Lagos, Nigeria. Finance Assistant G5.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.