Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 by focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resource Intern
Reference: ABV / HR – INTERN / 0001 / 2021 (Abuja), MDG / HR – INTERN / 0002 / 2021 (Maiduguri)
Locations: Abuja (FCT) and Maiduguri, Borno
Reports Directly To: Senior Human Resources Officer
Works Directly With: HR Team, Finance Team, Operations Staff and Program Staff
The HR Department Overview
- The Human Resource Department is responsible for developing and implementing effective HR policies, procedures, and people-friendly guidelines within Mercy Corps Nigeria. This includes but is not limited to Talent Acquisition & development; employee engagement coordination; countrywide training & learning management; compensation & benefits administration; countrywide performance management oversight; disciplinary & grievance handling; staff data management; staff disengagement management and 3rd party service provision management.
- The HR Intern position has been created to bridge the gap in the department in order to provide support to the HR Officer, SHR Officer, HR Director on HR-related functions which includes but is not limited to; ensuring completion of employee’s documentation, HR administration and filing as well as documenting all performance actions and ensuring compliance with relevant company and labour practices, and ensuring up-to-date maintenance of personnel files, database as well as logistical support for the full cycle recruiting process.
- The HR Intern will also serve as the clerical focal point and liaison between the field office and country office on HR administrative related activities.
- Ensure all job files and personnel files are populated appropriately
- Filing of all papers and documents into appropriate employee files, prepare new employee files. Collate all approved leave forms, maintain a database for staff benefits such as Staff Health Insurance/ Accident Insurance Plan
- Support the department by updating records of new and exited staff.
- Maintain digital and electronic records of personnel and job files
- Provide event management support during clinics, retreats, training sessions & events
- Support the team to perform files audit and request for outstanding documents required in the personnel and job files
- Schedule meetings, HR events, maintain agendas and active calendar management
- Keep up-to-date with the latest HR trends and best practice.
- Provide general and clerical support to the HR department and other duties as required
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
At the end of the internship period, the intern should have acquired the following skills and knowledge:
- Develop a working knowledge of HR information databases and searchable resources.
- Read all assigned literature
- Improve the department filing systems
- Actively manage the team calendar
- Provide onsite and offsite event management
- Attends seminars and meetings relative to the HR profession.
- Cultivate interpersonal skills
- Develop negotiating and public speaking skills
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Knowledge and Experience:
- A minimum of HND / Bachelor’s degree in a Social Science, NYSC members are encouraged to apply
- 0 – 1 year work experience.
- A demonstrated ability to and process information into action in a timely manner
- Possess positive attitude, Demonstrated integrity, confidentiality and approachability
- Works well under pressure, to accurately follow instructions and meets tight deadlines
- Ability to use the following Microsoft Productivity tools: Excel and Word
- Ability to express oneself through excellent communication skills: Verbal and Written
- Fluency in English Language and Hausa language
- The intern will be required to work 40 hours a week and sometimes will be required to work extra hours depending on the deliverables.
- The intern will be paid a monthly allowance of N100,000
- The intern will be entitled to full health insurance and Group Life Insurance
Deadline: 5th April, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title, location of choice and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview
- We are an equal employment opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.