International Finance Corporation (IFC) a sister organization of the World Bank and member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in developing countries. The Bank Group has set two goals for the world to achieve by 2030: end extreme poverty and promote shared prosperity in every country.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Investment Officer
Job #: req11399
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Required Language (s): English, French
- We are seeking for a Investment Officer to provide coverage for IFC’s corporate venture investment program across Africa.
- The role will include engaging and enhancing IFC’s strategic positioning in the venture capital space across all relevant industry verticals. S/he will be based in either Lagos, Nigeria or Nairobi, Kenya.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and make strategic direct venture investments, VC funds investments, and co-investments for the region in target sectors based on rigorous due diligence of prospective early growth stage ventures, strong technology analysis, business model and financial valuation
- Manage portfolio of direct VC, VC funds investments and co-investments in Africa; helping investees leverage on the resources and expertise of IFC and the broader World Bank Group.
- Participate in and lead negotiations and transaction structuring with potential investee companies;
- Establish, build, and maintain strong relationships with the venture ecosystem in the region, including early stage start-ups, venture, corporate and strategic investors and development partners.
- Develop strong relationships with leading African corporations to facilitate connections with portfolio companies for commercial and strategic partnerships
- Assist in negotiating new investment transactions across emerging markets;
- Lead due diligence for investment decisions;
- Develop market creation initiatives to expand the VC ecosystem in lesser developed parts of the region;
- Conduct analysis of and follow up on new business opportunities and liaise extensively with colleagues across the regions and DC headquarters.
- Lead and support development of sector strategies and market assessment exercise to support business development and portfolio valuation creation efforts.
- At least 8 – 10 years of work experience of which at least 4-6 years of venture capital or private equity experience, ideally with some emerging markets transaction experience preferably in Africa. Prior experience in, investment banking or business / corporate development will be considered;
- Significant transaction experience in and analytical knowledge of venture investing; specific sub-sector knowledge in one of the focused areas a plus (i.e. digital health, e-logistic/ supply chain; edtech; agtech; enterprise software solution, financial services)
- Experience in lead negotiating and structuring complex equity transactions;
- Existing and usable network amongst financial investors and strategic investors in emerging markets;
- Experience in portfolio management, including facilitation of exits. Having prior experience as an investee company board director or operational experience at a venture-backed company is a positive;
- Advanced degree required, MBA from leading international institutions preferred.
- Written competency and spoken language fluency in English, with strong writing and speaking capabilities in French recommended but not required.
- Excellent financial and analytical skills.
Deadline: 11:59pm UTC; 4th April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Poverty has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe.