The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Radiology Assistant
SVN No.: SVN2021.26
Organizational Unit: Migration Health
IOM Classification: G4
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST), 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As Soon as Possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Migration Health Officer and the direct supervision of the Senior Radiographer with the guidance of IOM Teleradiology Centre for technical matters the successful candidate will carry out the following duties and responsibilities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Prepare the daily chest X-ray worklist extracting from the overall health assessment worklist and share the worklist to the IOM radiology unit staff or to the external service provider and accompany the applicants to the radiology service provider for X-ray taking if the x-ray is done by external provider.
- Enter the biodata correctly and timely on x-ray reporting template for immigrants and refugees as needed and save files appropriately or pass to the radiologist as per work arrangement.
- Verify the identification of immigrants and refugees using original passport or valid ID with photo including name, age, and gender to prevent substitution during X-ray taking, and assist in organizing and properly handling the applicants at the radiology reception.
- Assist the IOM Radiology Technologist or the external radiology service provider in X-ray related counselling, checking pregnancy for female applicants and taking consent or cross checking if consent was taken when the applicant is pregnant.
- Complete the identity confirmation part of the chest examination in e-Medical website, enter data into Global Software for UK pre-entry TB screening programme, and / or Mimosa as needed.
- Assist in providing radiation protection lead shields to applicants, and in case of external service provider, make sure the external service provider uses radiation protection pelvic lead shielding for all applicants.
- Assist the radiologic technologist in entering the applicant’s biodata to the CR/DR machine and ensuring the standard and correct labelling of Chest X-rays by checking the correctness of biodata.
- IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
- Ensure and remind the Radiologic Technologist at the external provider to take technically good quality x-ray in accordance with IOM radiology guidelines and the resettlement country technical instructions, when the IOM X-ray service is outsourced to external provider.
- Make sure the chest X-rays are completed in a timely manner by the external radiology service provider when the chest X-rays are taken by the external provider and assist in the timely transfer of the chest X-ray images from the external provider to the IOM image server as needed when there is no set up for direct image transfer.
- Upload the chest X-ray image to e-Medical website timely and properly, burn the images on CD or prepare hard copy X-ray documents as needed.
- Communicate with the Radiologist in the mission or IOM Teleradiology Centre for reading the chest X-rays, notify when X-ray is done and sent to the server, receive additional view requests, call the applicants, and in coordination with the Radiologic Technologist, make sure the additional views are completed on time.
- Download the X-ray reports from the radiology system or shared folder where the reports are filed and deliver the report to the panel physicians as needed.
- Prepare the daily X-ray statistical reports and other necessary Radiology Unit related monthly statistics as needed. Cross check and confirm the correctness of the number of chest X-ray readings by Radiologist as needed.
- Coordinate with the staff in Migrant Health Assessment Centre and IOM country mission, and x-ray machine provider when needed.
- Assist IOM radiologic technologist in maintaining optimal workflow, keeping the safety of the machines, keeping track of X-ray consumables and early notification, and in creating client friendly environment in the radiology unit.
- Contribute to the radiation safety measures in the Radiology Unit by complying to the radiation safety rules and regulations and regularly wearing radiation measuring badges while at work.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Administration, Health Sciences, Health Management, Radiographic, Public Health or related field from an accredited university with two years of relevant working experience or High School Diploma with four years of working experience in the required field
- Professional board registration as a Technologist as may be required by the country
- Knowledge and experience in radiology department and its processes and screening, especially chest X-Ray, health assessment and digital radiography required.
- Knowledge and experience in radiology information systems and picture archiving and communication systems.
- Experience in technical and administrative support.
- Knowledge and experience in using of different software and medical/digital radiology system applications is advantage.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel required.
- Knowledge and experience on x-ray related service is an advantage
- Fluency in English (oral and written) Knowledge of the local languages is advantageous
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and accreditation
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 12th April, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position applied on subject line.
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2021.26 Radiology Assistant. Lagos Nigeria.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian Nationals only.