2021 World Trade Organization (WTO) Essay Award WTO has issued a call for young economists to submit papers for the 2021 WTO Essay Award. The award aims to promote high-quality research on trade policy and international trade cooperation and to reinforce the relationship between the WTO and the academic community.
The essay award, now in its 13th year, has grown to be a prized achievement for young trade economists and brings to light novel evidence important for evaluating trade flows and policies.
2021 World Trade Organization (WTO) Essay Award Eligibility
- The paper must address issues related to trade policy and international trade cooperation.
- The author(s) of the paper must possess or be engaged in the completion of a PhD degree and, if over 30 years of age, be no more than two years past a PhD defense.
- In the case of co-authored papers, this requirement shall apply to all authors.
- In addition, to be considered for the award, essays cannot exceed 15,000 words.
The annual WTO Essay Award provides a prize of CHF 5,000 to the author(s) of the winning essay. In the case of a co-authored paper, the prize will be equally divided among the authors. The winning paper will be officially announced at the annual meeting of the European Trade Study Group, which is the largest conference specializing in international trade. The award ceremony will take place on 9-11 September 2021 in Ghent (Belgium). The winning author will receive funding to attend the meeting.
An Academic Selection Panel is responsible for the selection of the winning paper. The panel comprises:
- Professor Beata Javorcik (University of Oxford)
- Professor Robert Staiger (Dartmouth College)
- Professor Alberto Trejos (INCAE Business School).
Dr Robert Koopman (Director, Economic Research and Statistics Division, WTO Secretariat) is ex officio member of the panel. Dr Roberta Piermartini (Chief, Trade Cost Analysis Section, WTO) coordinates the work of the panel.
Application Deadline: 7 June 2021
For More Information:Visit the Official Webpage of the WTO Essay Award 2021