Applications for the Microsoft AI for Accessibility Grants 2021 are now open. The AI for Accessibility grants support projects that use AI to empower people living with disabilities.
They are looking for individuals or teams who are not only passionate about making the world more inclusive but also firmly rooted in the communities they intend to benefit from. They want to invest in ideas that are developed by or with people with disabilities.
- In addition to Azure compute credits worth $10,000, $15,000, or $20,000 (depending on your project scope and needs), these grants cover costs related to collecting or labeling data, developing models, or other engineering-related work.
- Their community of AI for Accessibility grantees also receive Azure developer support, resources, and opportunities to collaborate and showcase their work.
Microsoft Artificial Intelligence (AI) for Accessibility Grants 2021 Eligibility
- They invite applications from developers, NGOs, academics, researchers, and inventors to accelerate their work for people with disabilities.
- This is a global program: Grant applications from all countries are eligible.
If you are worried about not meeting all requirements, connect to someone in your community who can support you and partner on an application.
AI for Accessibility grant applications is reviewed by Microsoft employees who are directly involved in the AI for Accessibility grant selection process for the sole purpose of proposal review and to determine the grant level to be provided. Projects should be developed with or by people with disabilities.
Applications are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Relevance: AI and/or machine learning are core to the project’s success.
- Impact: Your project clearly elevates education, employment, community, or home outcomes for someone with a disability.
- Data: Your team is open to sharing privacy-compliant data for future innovation.
- Feasible: The project is achievable within a one-year timeframe. This could be phase 1 of your project, but there should be tangible deliverables completed each quarter that are wrapped up in 12 months.
- Capable: Your team should have the knowledge and skill to deliver the idea, or you should have a plan to partner with someone who can fill in any gaps.
- Sustainable: The project has room to grow beyond the first year of funding.
- Showcase-able: They want to talk about whatever you deliver!
Microsoft Artificial Intelligence (AI) for Accessibility Grants 2021 Requirement
Review the proposal requirements document. Your project proposal should describe the accessibility challenge addressed, the technical solution proposed, and its potential impact on people with disabilities. Follow the application form and be as specific as possible.
They accept proposals on a rolling basis and review them a few times a year. The next deadlines are:
- Employment: July 30, 2021, 11:59 PM Pacific Time
- Low-Cost Assistive Technology (AT): December 17, 2021, 11:59 PM Pacific Time
Submit your project proposal via the online application form
For more info, visit Microsoft Site