The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Accounting Officer
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Recruitment Type: National (1–year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Manage the activities accounting system and reporting process, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of ledgers and all supporting documentation and compliance with IITA and donor’s finance and procurement regulations. These include.
- Ensure expenses are authorised and processed in accordance with agreed procedures for both IITA and donors.
- Prepare petty cash payments, journals and other vouchers and ensuring that these are posted into general and other account ledgers.
- Process cash advances and claims for payment and maintaining advances register for follow up on the reimbursements of advances; accounting for Activity payable and receivables.
- Maintain accounting records, ensuring they are complete, accurate, well archived and safeguarded.
- Liaise effectively with IITA’s Finance Department to ensure that funds are released and payment for Activities expenses are made on time.
- Prepare Statements of expenditures (SOE) as required by the donor for justification of advances, direct payments and replenishment of accounts.
- Monitor the processing of program cash/travel advances, expense claims and reimbursements by Activity staff.
- Respond to account inquiries and provide prompt feedback to users.
- File and keep Activity accounting supporting documents and records.
- Track and monitor resource needs and other material needs for carrying out financial tasks.
- Assist in the organisation and management of internal and external audits and compliance checks.
- Prepare Activity annual budget and prepare budget performance report.
- Enforce proper internal control in the Activity Finance Unit.
- Provide Bank reconciliation status on the relationship between the program and its commercial banks.
- Prepare invoices and chargeback statements for services provided to individuals or other institutions and partners.
- Perform any other job-related task as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Work with IITA Finance Department to track and monitor program expenditures and prepare Activity financial reports for submission to the donor. Ensure agreed reporting dates are maintained according to IITA’s policies and donor requirements.
- Assist in managing partners finance reporting ensuring compliance with IITA and donor regulations.
- B.Sc. / HND in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field with minimum of ten(10) years experience in a well-structured environment or donor funded organization.Processional accounting certification is highly required.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have excellent computer skills with good grasp and knowledge of spreadsheets, word processing and other MS office applications. Good knowledge of Oracle Applications will be an added advantage.
- Have proven skill and experience in areas of financial management, organization, supervisory, financial accounting, analytical and donor contract interpretation.
- Be able to communicate in one or more of northern Nigeria’s major languages
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team-oriented multicultural environment.
- Have ability to plan and co-ordinate,and monitor own work plans, and deliver accurate and timely reports.
- Good ability to co-ordinate, prioritize and organize workloads; take initiatives and work under pressure.
- Be able to work with minimum supervision and with tight deadlines.
- Proficiency in English language with excellent writing, communication and presentation skills.
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should complete the online application attaching detailed Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format to IITA.
- The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women.
- While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 25th May, 2021.