Nigeria Immigration Service has announced the reopening of a Passport application and payment portal starting from 12 midnight June 8, 2021.
Comptroller General, Muhammad Babandede said that the reopening will allow eligible passport applicants to apply and make payments for the various categories of passports.
Nigeria Immigration Service suspended fresh passport application in May 2021 to clear the backlog of passport application
The process of getting a Nigerian Passport and How to Apply for the New Passport
- Applications and payments for Passport services for the new passport will be done through the Immigration Service website.
- Applicants should visit the portal to apply and upload support documents for vetting and processing.
- After successful applications, the applicants will make an online booking interview/enrolment appointment for any day, time and location that is convenient
- The new timeline for Passport production and issuance after the applicant is successful enrol for the selected Issuing Centre will be six weeks for Fresh applications and three weeks for Re-issue (Renewal applications)
- Nigeria Immigration does not allow an applicant with no online application and payment into their Passport Issuing Centres for Passport processing
- Nigeria Immigration will contact applicants through email and phone number that was provided during application whenever their passport is ready
- Should in case of any problem, challenges and feedback, NIS will provide a helpline for people to call in
Babandede used the opportunity to advise Nigerians and Passport applicants to do the application themself and avoid using touts to help them because the new process is now very easy
He warns the people doing Passport application business to stop or else they will face very strict sanctions.
Different categories of Nigeria new travel document
1. Nigeria Immigration Service [NIS] recently introduce a new travel document “Nigeria Temporary Passport” for Nigerians abroad that need to travel back home but does not have a standard passport at hand.
March 2021 Nigerian government officially launch the new temporary type electronic passport [e-passport] that is called “Nigeria Temporary Passport” to replace the paper-based Emergency Travel Certificate.
2. The other travel documents is for diplomatic [red] passport and Ecowas passport the immigration service also issue.
Two types of passports have two categories with 64 or 32 pages. international passport has five and 10-year duration
The 10 years passport is costlier than the one of 5 years. President Muhammadu Buhari government introduced the 10-years valid period for Nigerian International Passport.