Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) Center is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Advisor, Military
Reports To: Country Director
Employment Type: Full-Time
- The Senior Military Advisor (SMA) will be a highly valued member of CIVIC’s program in Nigeria, which currently focuses on the protection of civilians in the country.
- The SMA will be responsible for providing training and technical assistance to CIVIC’s government security partners on the implementation of civilian harm mitigation initiatives; supporting CIVIC’s research and advocacy initiatives; and contributing regular analysis of current events to aid in project planning, reporting, or other CIVIC activities; Provide training, analysis, and representation for CIVIC’s Nigeria Country program, primarily to government security force partners, but other civilians and government stakeholders as well.
Educational Qualification & Experience Requirements
- Past Military Experience as a senior officer, such as Army Lt. Colonel, Navy Commander, Air Force Lt. Colonel, or higher rank.
- Prior service with Nigerian Defense Forces strongly desired.
- Experience training armed forces, preferably in the army, specifically relating protection of civilians and/or International Humanitarian law. Additional experience working with police forces is also highly desired.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop collaborative relationships, especially in a multi-component project.
- Superior analytic, communication and interpersonal skills, including training and facilitation skills and demonstrated experience working with multicultural teams.
- High level of integrity in dealing with co-workers and with programs.
- Must currently be able to work in Nigeria legally.
- Travel: Up to 30%-40% required
- Prior experience working at a non-profit desirable.
- Flexibility, cultural awareness, and sensitivity.
- Computer literacy including proficiency with Dropbox, Slack and Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, etc.).
- Fluency in written and spoken English, Hausa and Kanuri is highly desired
- Ability to write high-quality narrative and qualitative reports to describe recent activities and provided analysis of results and relevant current events.
- Demonstrated experience networking with donors, government officials and the private sector.
- Strong personal network in Nigeria strongly desired.
- Cultivate strong working relationships with senior government, military, and civil society leaders.
- Oversee the provision of, and directly provide, technical expertise pertaining to the protection of civilians in armed conflicts to which Nigeria are party.
- Oversee the design and implementation of tools, systems, processes, tactics/techniques/procedures to minimize the harm caused to civilians during operations and foster better protection of civilians.
- Develop training modules and deliver workshops – in close coordination with CIVIC’s international military advisors – on the key tenets of civilian harm mitigation and protection of civilians to military and civilian members of Nigerian governments.
- Promote the representation, training, and advocacy on civilian protection and harm mitigation.
- Assess training efforts to provide recommendations to diverse stakeholders to improve civilian protection.
- Keep CIVIC’s international and national partners and others informed about progress of the projects, plans for the development of new programs/projects/activities.
- Conduct monitoring and reporting of activities in support of project reporting requirements.
- Work with the monitoring, evaluation and learning team to track on the effectiveness efforts.
- Build Strategic relationships and partnerships with key foreign missions’ such as the European Union, UK, the US, and others.
- Oversee and conduct advocacy with senior government and military officials to advance programmatic and policy changes related to the protection of civilians.
- Oversee and coordinate the program portfolio to ensure the highest level of project quality and accountability, while fostering continuity through building the capacity of external partners.
- Support the management, training, and mentoring, of new trainers or military advisors across the program.
- Disseminate findings from CIVIC’s work that are of importance to decision-makers in a position to fund or implement projects in Nigeria.
- Work with the various SMAs African Region to promote CIVIC within NGO networks and among government stakeholders to promote effective collaborations and partnerships.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply