The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Specialist
- The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Communications Specialist who is excited to elevate the voices and stories of the free knowledge movement through digital communications.
- This is a highly collaborative role, in which you will help shape and execute digital strategies to connect with global audiences; manage the Wikimedia Foundation and Wikipedia social media channels; develop digital content, including social media, web, blog, email, and campaign copy; and deliver metrics that inform decisions.
- You will develop digital content that engages a wide range of audiences and reflects the Foundation’s values, voice, and tone. You will demonstrate a consistent commitment to promoting diversity and equity through our digital channels. You must possess the judgment and writing skills to be one of the public voices of the Foundation online.
The ideal candidate is:
- A strategic and creative storyteller with experience in developing and executing impactful digital communications strategies, as well an in-depth knowledge of social media platforms, best practices, and trends.
- A motivated and organized self-starter with the ability to consistently produce high-quality work, manage multiple tasks, and execute under deadlines, occasionally during crisis communications situations.
- A detail-oriented facilitator who is able to produce clear and engaging content working across a variety of subject matters.
- An adept and intuitive communicator with the ability to write in a range of voices and styles for a variety of projects with diverse audiences.
- A results-driven achiever with the ability to gather and communicate key insights and a strong understanding of digital media metrics and tools.
- A conscientious and globally-minded professional interested in identifying and elevating stories that attract a global audience and showcase the global nature of our movement.
- A thoughtful team player who is eager to collaborate and committed to advancing diversity, equity, and belonging in all their work.
You Are Responsible For
- Shaping and executing digital communications strategies, including:
- Advising and advancing the strategy for the Wikimedia Foundation and Wikipedia social media channels, as well as working as the primary copywriter for daily and campaign-specific content
- Overseeing a social media content calendar: scheduling posts about key news articles, events, announcements, campaigns, interesting facts, and more
- Collaborating with department colleagues to develop digital campaigns that increase global awareness of Wikimedia projects and our social good mission
- Regularly monitoring and maintaining social media channels: moderating comments and messages, alerting staff to notable situations, sharing relevant content, and engaging with followers
- Proactively identifying strategic opportunities to engage across our digital channels, helping to connect the Foundation and Wikipedia to timely global events and relevant causes
- Supporting the development of staff as online thought leaders by advancing their understanding of social platforms and identifying key moments for staff to contribute online
- Creating training presentations and materials, toolkits, and guides for Wikimedia community groups and members to strengthen their social media brands and practices
- Regularly organizing and sharing metrics, data, and research reports to glean insights and inform strategy
- Working with the marketing team to advance strategies for paid social media promotions
- Writing other digital content, including web copy, blog posts, and emails
- Assisting with rapid response and crisis management to protect our brand reputation and help teams understand how relevant issues are being discussed on social media
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of two years of digital communications experience, with an emphasis on social media copywriting and account maintenance
- Experience with, passion for, and knowledge of social media and other digital communications platforms, audiences, and engagement strategies, as well as measurement tools and metrics
- Strong verbal and written communication, editing, and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills and experience managing multiple projects at once, with an interest in both independent and collaborative work
- Intellectual curiosity, flexibility, and a desire to tackle challenging problems
- The ability to work on a team with diverse demographic and cultural characteristics, as well as the flexibility to virtually meet with people in multiple time zones
Qualities that are important to us:
- Resilience – we work on new and interesting problems in public and collaborative ways
- Being open, curious, and inquiring in our work
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Working together for outcomes, and being willing to let go to scale or change course
- Sharing a culture of constructive criticism and respect
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- The ability to speak other languages, experience living or working outside the United States, or past work on global digital campaigns
- Experience in graphic design programs such as Figma
- Experience using WordPress
- Involvement or experience within Wikimedia communities and/or editing the Wikimedia projects
- Fluency or familiarity with languages in addition to English
- BA/BS or MA/MS
U.S. Benefits & Perks
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace.
- We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
- For remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
- If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at: email@example.com or (415) 839-6885