The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Technical Advisor – BACKUP Health Nigeria
VA No: 060
- BACKUP supports state and civil society organizations in making efficient use of the resources provided by global financing mechanisms (GFATM, GAVI and GFF) to support their national health systems.
- This boosts the effectiveness and sustainability of the measures receiving financial support. Since 2021, the project has also been supporting Providing for Health (P4H), a network dedicated to health financing.
- To improve national coordination of global health financing
- To support the institutions of national health systems
- To develop the management of community-based health services at decentralised level
- To mitigate the risks that the COVID-19 pandemic poses for GFATM programmes and national health systems
- To support sustainable, resilient and equitable health financing
- BACKUP Health is looking for a technical advisor – working in close collaboration with the team members in Nigeria and in Germany – with the following core responsibilities:
- Establish partnerships with national, bi- and multilateral stakeholders in the Nigerian health sector
- Based on overall BACKUP strategy and mandate, contribute to the ongoing development of the BACKUP portfolio and technical assistance approach in Nigeria
- Support the coordination and monitoring of the implementation of ongoing Global Fund, Gavi and GFF related projects and consultancies were relevant to the BACKUP portfolio
In this context, the position holder fulfils the following tasks:
In this context, the position holder performs the following tasks in close collaboration with the BACKUP team (in-country and headquarter) as well as other teams of relevant programmes in the country:
Technical advice (Capacity development):
- Identify technical assistance (TA) needs and opportunities for support in the BACKUP intervention areas national coordination and governance, health system strengthening, integrated health services and mitigation of C-19 impact on disease control
- Provide technical assistance based on the identified needs as well as analyze and incorporate cross-cutting issues of community, rights and gender-related to the interventions
- Provide technical contributions to policies, guidelines and tools as may be required by programme activities
- Organize, conduct and/or facilitate training sessions in relevant areas of work.
Management and Coordination:
- Provide technical backstopping to local and international TA providers in his/her field of expertise
- Work together with the other technical advisors in preparing, attending and reporting on programmatic and technical working group coordination meetings in the Nigerian health sector
- Support coordination and planning of visits from TA providers and BACKUP headquarter staff
- Support knowledge management for BACKUP by collecting and documenting good practices and lessons learned in relation to programmes/processes and TA approaches of global health financing initiatives.
Communication and Networking:
- Represent BACKUP in adhering to the programme’s principles, guidelines and agreements in all related interventions
- Promote partnerships and linkages between key stakeholders related to the Global Health Initiatives (such as Global Fund, Gavi and GFF) as well as other health system actors
- Support transparent communication and information sharing between all involved institutions and counterparts related to the Global Health Initiatives
- Support BACKUP communication and public relations through the national, regional and global publication of project outcomes (e.g. in journals, news feeds and social media).
- University Degree (Master’s level) in an area that is relevant to the program objectives, with a focus on public health, public policy or development studies.
- At least 5 years professional experience in a comparable position
- Work experience in the health sector of Nigeria with public and/or private institutions (e.g. disease control, health service delivery, community development)
- Experience with health programmes financed by domestic and external resources.
Other Knowledge, Additional Competencies:
- Good understanding of global health architecture
- Experience with German Development Cooperation and/or Global Fund would be an asset
- Highly motivated professional
- A team player willing to take on responsibility
- Possessing a positive attitude to change
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact in complex cooperation systems with various stakeholders (including senior government officials, civil society and key population representatives, project implementers and beneficiaries)
- Good communication and writing skills
- Language skills: English
- Good IT knowledge
- Willingness to upgrade knowledge as required by the tasks to be performed
- Willingness to travel regularly (once C-19 regulations allow.
Deadline: 26th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and One-page Cover Letter as one Document with complete Contact details to: email@example.com using “Vacancy no. 060” as the subject of the mail.
Note: Only applications sent to this email will be consider (do not send your application via Linkedin).