The Federal University Gashua is one of the 12 new Universities established 6 years ago, by the Federal Government to bridge the gap of University education in all States of the Federation, which hitherto had no Federal Universities. The University, which took off in 2014 started off with a remedial studies programmes and later with academic programmes in Arts, Science and Agriculture which had 21 programmes in all. The Centre for Irrigation and Desertification Studies (CIDS) also commenced operation from inception.
The Vision of the University is, “to be a leading Centre of Excellence distinguished by its innovative and competitive approach to teaching, learning, research and service to humanity”, therefore, it intends to he ranked among the best Universities world-wide.
In accordance with the relevant provisions of the Universities Act (No. 11) of 1993 as amended by the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act of 2012, the Governing Council of Federal University, Gashua is inviting interested Candidates with requisite qualifications and experience to apply for the the position below:
Job Title: Bursar
Location: Gashua, Yobe
- The Bursar is a Principal Officer and is the Chief Financial Officer of the University, responsible to the Vice – Chancellor for day-to-day financial administration and the control of the financial affairs of the University
- He/She should provide the University Management with appropriate advice and support for all the institution’s financial transactions including investments
The Candidate for the post should have the capacity of performing the following responsibilities efficiently and effectively:
- As the Bursar, play a critical role in the attainment of the objectives of the University and the implementation of its Vision and Mission;
- Prudence in the face of inadequacy and the ability to advice the Vice-Chancellor on wise strategies for generating revenue; and
- Candidate must be in good health and not exceed the gazette retirement age before the end of the five-year tenure.
- Demonstrable integrity, transparency and abiding by the Rule of Law,
- Dynamic in the running of Bursary through the appropriate deployment of ICT, elimination of unnecessary bottlenecks and timely accomplishment of assigned duties
Qualifications & Experience
- A Candidate for the post must possess at least a Second-Class (Honours) Lower Degree in Accounting from a recognized University be a member of relevant professional bodies eg.ICAN ANAN, ACCA, CPA, ICMA, ACA, CNA, and be proficient in IT and be current in deploying it at the level required for efficientjob performance
- Candidate must have a minimum of fifteen (15) years post-qualification experience in a University or twenty (20) years in other institutions of higher learning.
- The applicant must be a Deputy Bursar in a recognized University for at least five (5) years.
- Candidate must not be older than sixty (60) years at the date of assumption of duty on appointment.
- He should also be of sound health
Tenure and Conditions of Service
- The appointment is for a single term of five (5) years only, Salary and other conditions of service including privileges and entitlements shall be as approved for Bursars of Federal Universities by the Federal Government of Nigeria and as may be modified from time to time by competent authorities.
Deadline: 17th September, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants are required to submit 25 copies of their typed applications with photocopies of certificates claimed and Curriculum Vitae containing such personal details in the order listed below:
- Full Name (surname first):
- Date of Birth:
- State of Origin / LGA:
- Permanent Home Address:
- E-Mail Address and Phone number(s):
- Marital Status:
- Number of Children (with names And ages):
- Institutions attended (with dates):
- Academic qualifications obtained (with dates):
- Professional Qualifications / Membership of Professional Bodies (with dates):
- Present Employment, Status, Salary Level & Employer:
- Extra-Curricular Activities:
- Any Other Relevant Information.
- Names And Addresses of Three Referees (one of whom must be a Professional or authority in University Administration, and one other must be from the applicant’s current place of work):
All applications and the accompanying Curriculum Vitae should be forwarded in a sealed envelope marked “Application for the post of Bursar” to:
Federal University, Gashua,
- Each application must be accompanied by not more than 500 words of vision statement of the Candidate in the twenty first century
- Applicants should also request each of their referees to send his/her report, under confidential cover, direct to the Vice-Chancellor, marked “Referee’s Report for the post of Bursar”.
- Late submissions will not be processed.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be invited for interview.
- This post will be vacant with effect from 1st October, 2021.